Instant Pot Elk Osso Buco Recipe That Everyone Will Love
Osso buco is one of my favorite dishes, and making it in the Instant Pot is my new go-to method. Prepared this way, you can have delicious osso buco ready to eat in about an hour and a half. I like to have mine with potatoes and parsnips, but you could use any variety of vegetables you prefer. What really makes osso buco so ridiculously good is the flavorful meat and marrow from the bones. Everything cooks together into a rich, mouth watering tomato based sauce full of wonderful herbs and orange zest for an added zing of citrus. A generous splash of apple cider vinegar really rounds out the flavor.
An Indulgent Meal That’s Healthy, Too
The aroma when this is cooking is incredible. Serve over mashed potatoes, couscous, rice or whatever grain you prefer. This is so easy to make yet an impressive dish to serve guests or treat your loved ones. It’s one of my favorites for winter and is very nourishing as well. The vegetables, bone broth, lean elk meat and added nutrients from the bone marrow combine to make a meal that’s not only extremely tasty but also very nutritious.
Elk That Are Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
- 8 cuts elk leg shanks (osso buco)
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow, divided + more as needed
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 parsnips, chopped
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups bison bone broth + more as needed
- 2 tablespoons double concentrated tomato paste
- Zest of one orange
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Gently pat the osso buco dry. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the ⅓ cup flour to a small dish and coat the osso buco on all sides, shaking off the excess.
- Turn on the Sauté function of the Instant Pot. Add in ½ tablespoon bison tallow. When hot, sear the osso buco, working in batches. Set aside on a plate as you sear them.
- Add more bison tallow as needed to sauté the onions, parsnips and potatoes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the minced garlic, thyme, oregano and basil to the pot. Stir and cook for a couple more minutes. Turn off the sauté function.
- Add the seared elk osso buco back into the pot, along with the tomato paste, bison bone broth, apple cider vinegar and orange zest. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on High Pressure for 1 hour.
- When finished cooking, carefully use the pressure valve to release the pressure.
- Serve and enjoy immediately garnished with chopped parsley.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.