Tangy Panko Breaded Chicken Drumsticks With Buttery Broccoli
These breaded, oven baked chicken drumsticks are the perfect weeknight indulgence. We constantly hear from customers that our chicken is the most delicious they’ve ever tasted. Every time I cook these drumsticks, I’m impressed by just how scrumptious they consistently turn out. I’m always happy with them whichever way I choose to prepare them, but the addition of a tangy oven baked breaded coating really takes things to the next level.
A Perfect Mixture of Texture and Flavor
This recipe uses creamy yogurt and delectable Dijon mustard to create an explosion of flavor. The panko breadcrumbs are always the perfect taste and texture for any breaded meat dish. The broccoli turns out tender and buttery when you steam it for just a couple minutes before sautéeing, making this my favorite way to prepare this delicious vegetable.
Just Say No To Factory Farmed Meat
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for our planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way.
When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a small-scale farm, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Humanely Raised Chicken Tastes & Feels Better
Our chicken comes from a small co-op of family farms. They’re humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins.
The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls. They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 8 chicken drumsticks (2 packages)
- 2 cups Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large head of broccoli
- Ghee or avocado oil & butter to taste (to cook the broccoli)
- Thaw the chicken drumsticks overnight in the refrigerator. Before cooking, set out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes (room temperature meat always cooks more evenly).
- Prepare the oven by preheating to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the yogurt and Dijon mustard together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large Ziploc freezer bag, mix together the breadcrumbs along with generous amounts of salt and pepper to taste. Shake to combine. Set aside.
- In batches, coat the drumsticks in the yogurt mixture and then place in the bag and shake to get a nice coating. Transfer the prepared drumsticks to a baking rack (preferably rimmed and with a rack)
- Roast the chicken until it’s golden brown, flipping halfway through. It should take about 40-45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the broccoli. Rinse, chop off the stems and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Place in a large cast iron skillet with about ⅛ of an inch of water in the bottom. Cook over medium heat with a lid on top and steam for 3-5 minutes or just until the broccoli turns bright green. Be careful not to overcook.
- Carefully drain the water from the skillet. Place back on the stove over medium heat and add a tablespoon of butter or ghee to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes or until the broccoli starts to get golden brown on the edges. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the breaded drumsticks and broccoli immediately. You can also store as leftovers or meal prep and reheat later.
At Beck & Bulow, we’re passionate about providing the best meat available, delivered straight to your door. All of our meat is ethically sourced and raised the way nature intended. Each of our offerings is hand cut by local butchers with care and precision. Every order is hand packaged at our Santa Fe warehouse by our team.
You will receive your meat in a reusable cooler packed with dry ice to maintain optimal freshness. Feel free to reach out, we’re always happy to answer questions and share cooking recommendations. We’re confident that you will love this meat as much as we do.