Delicious & Easy Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole
This casserole has got to be one of the simplest but most delicious combinations in existence. The classic flavors of broccoli cheddar soup, but in casserole form with our tasty chicken breast and aromatic basmati or jasmine rice. Use a good quality sharp cheddar cheese for best results. This is a one pot meal, which is always a huge plus in my opinion. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner that’s so yummy, everyone will be coming back for seconds. Easy, warming and filling with lots of healthy ingredients while still being super cheesy and comforting.
Delicious Chicken From The Best Sourcing
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for the planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a co-op of family farms, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Happy Chickens Raised Naturally And Humanely
These birds are humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls. They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 parsnips, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons grass fed butter
- 1 ½ cups white rice (jasmine or basmati are my favorites)
- ½ cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (extra for garnish if desired)
- 1-2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- Zest of ½ of a large lemon
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the 3 ½ cups of water and stir in the chicken bouillon until fully combined. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. When it’s hot enough, add the chopped onion and carrot. Sauté until fragrant - approximately five minutes.
- Stir the chicken into the pot. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until the chicken is nicely seared.
- Add the rice, orzo, butter and chopped thyme. Stir frequently, cooking for 2-3 minutes until the grains are golden brown and toasted.
- Add the chicken bouillon to the pot. Bring to a boil and then add in the broccoli, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, bay leaves and a generous amount of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Return to a boil, then cover the dutch oven and reduce the heat to low. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, until the rice is close to fully cooked but not quite.
- Stir in the milk, lemon zest, and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake the casserole in the oven for 15-20 minutes until it begins to get brown and golden on top.
- Serve immediately, garnish with chopped thyme or basil.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.