Belgian Waterzooi Recipe: Creamy & Delicious Chicken Soup
Waterzooi is a traditional Belgian soup that’s soothing, hearty and delicious. The name comes from the Flemish words for boiling water - a fitting name for a stew! This dish is usually made with chicken or fish. When cooked with chicken, it tastes a little like the Belgian version of chicken and dumplings. This soup is creamy, flavorful and satisfying. It dates all the way back to the Middle Ages, so it certainly has withstood the test of time. I used bone-in chicken thighs, but you could also make this with boneless chicken breast - just reduce the amount of cooking time for the chicken.
Also Read: The Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza Recipe Everyone Will Love
Naturally Delicious Chicken
What a lot of people don’t realize is that it’s common for chicken purchased in stores to get injected with saline to appear plump and fresh. As part of the USDA Never Ever 3 program, our chicken is never given any antibiotics, steroids or growth hormones. Furthermore, it is never injected or altered in any way after butchering. Most chicken you buy at the store has chemicals infused into the plastic packaging for preserving the meat. Our packaging is free of any additives or chemicals, making this chicken something you can feel great about purchasing for yourself and your family.
Also Read: Delicious Caribbean Chicken Curry: Instant Pot Recipe
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for the planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a small co-op of family farms, raised in sunny Colorado.
Sourced From A Co-Op Of Family Farms
These birds are humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls. They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 pound parsnips, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced thin
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 egg yolks
- Chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Also Read: Hawaiian Style Pineapple Chicken Thighs With Coconut Rice
- Season the chicken on all sides with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt the two tablespoons of butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the minced shallots, chopped leeks, onions, celery, parsnips and carrots. Arrange the seasoned chicken thighs on top of the vegetables. Pour in the chicken broth, adding more if necessary to completely submerge the chicken. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the chicken is fork tender. Remove the chicken from the pot with tongs or a slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Continue to simmer the soup for another half hour.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat into large chunks and discard the bones. Set the shredded chicken aside.
- While the soup is simmering, beat the egg yolks and heavy cream together in a bowl. Gradually whisk the mixture into the soup.
- Juice the lemon into the pot and stir in the chopped parsley. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Addictive Asian Chicken Wings: Saucy, Crispy & Oven Baked
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.