Bison Tomahawk Prime Rib Recipe For Christmas Dinner
Prime rib is perfect for the holidays, especially Christmas dinner or New Years. It’s sure to impress and get everyone feeling festive. Not to mention, it’s incredibly delicious. This prime cut of meat is particularly eye catching when the bones are left in, also known as a tomahawk prime rib. The bones offer visual appeal and even more amazing flavor. This standing rib roast will create a meal to remember - and goodness knows we could all use a little extra cheer this year.
Although it might seem intimidating to prepare at first, it’s actually quite simple. A meat thermometer will come in handy, so if you don’t have one it’s worth picking one up to ensure that your prime rib is cooked to perfection. These standing rib roasts are super impressive and when cut apart become meltingly tender cuts of tomahawk bone-in ribeye steak. We also offer boneless ribeye roasts and whole tenderloin roasts, all of which are great choices for special occasions or holidays.
Once You Go Bison, You’ll Never Go Back
People often ask us what bison tastes like. The answer is simple - it tastes like beef, but a little sweeter. If you like beef, you’re going to love bison. It’s naturally more tender and flavorful (as long as it’s cooked correctly). It cooks more quickly than beef and we always recommend cooking to rare or medium rare for best results. Less is more when it comes to cooking this naturally lean meat. We like to say, “Once you go bison, you’ll never go back” because so many people love the taste so much that they wind up preferring it to beef. Beck & Bulow was founded on a love for the American bison.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- Bison tomahawk prime rib
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary, chopped
- Let the prime rib roast come to room temperature for approximately 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the prime rib in a roasting pan. Generously season the roast on all sides with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and chopped rosemary. Position the roast in the pan so the fat side is facing upwards.
- Roast in the preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook for another hour and a half and check the roast. A good rule of thumb is 15 minutes per pound, so it will most likely need about 30 more minutes. For medium rare, cook to an internal temperature of 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the prime rib from the oven and tent with aluminum foil. Rest for twenty minutes - this is an important step! Don’t skip it if you want juicy meat.
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.