Cornbread Stuffing With Bison Hickory Smoked Sausage
Stuffing has always been one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving. It’s fluffy, comforting and full of savory goodness. This recipe features our bison hickory smoked sausage which makes this some of the best stuffing ever. These instructions are for preparing a pan of dressing separately from your turkey, but you could also fill the cavity of the turkey and cook it that way. If you prefer a spicy kick, add a little cayenne pepper - I love the addition of spice with cornbread. You could also substitute a different type of breadcrumbs if desired. And if you’re a huge fan of Thanksgiving leftovers sandwiches like I am, this stuffing will make the sandwiches of your dreams. Simply add turkey, a little cranberry sauce and mayonnaise on some good quality bread for post-Thanksgiving bliss.
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever.
Until I started working for Beck & Bulow, I typically avoided sausages because I felt like they were almost always of questionable sourcing. These are sausages and hotdogs that I feel great about eating and they taste incredible. They’re amazing on their own or added into any recipe. I often substitute them where pork sausage would traditionally be used. Although I haven’t experimented with it yet, I have a feeling that our jalapeno & cheddar bison sausage would be delicious in this cornbread dressing recipe as well.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- ½ pound bison hickory smoked sausage, chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups cornbread, crumbled
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add in the chopped onion and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the onion becomes tender. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and cook at a simmer for approximately 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crumbled cornbread, chopped sausage, sage, rosemary, thyme, and the cooked onion mixture. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Toss just until combined, taking care not to overmix.
- Place the dressing into the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until the dressing is turning golden brown on top.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.