New Mexico Hatch Green Chile, Bison & Sweet Potato Pie
This green chile, bison and sweet potato pie is the perfect recipe whether you’re born and raised in New Mexico, or have yet to visit the land of enchantment. Hatch green chiles have the perfect amount of spice and a flavor that can’t be replicated with substitutions. However, if you don’t have access to New Mexico green chiles, you can definitely substitute jalapeno or other peppers. The southwestern spices are so delicious with sweet potatoes, and our flavorful ground bison meat makes this pie a sure favorite.
This crowd pleaser is the perfect way to enjoy these flavors during cooler fall and wintertime weather. This would also be delicious with ground elk, grass fed beef ground, or our special ground primal or keto burger blends. The cheese is completely optional, and I slightly prefer it without, but a Mexican shredded blend would be perfect for anyone who wants to add some in.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 pound ground bison (or grass fed ground beef)
- Bison tallow as needed for cooking
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large roasted green chile, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon green chile powder or red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- 2 frozen pie crusts, thawed
- Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Chopped fresh cilantro for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Set the thawed bison meat out at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes before cooking.
- Add the diced sweet potato to a pan on the stove and cover with water. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until the potatoes are softened. Drain the potatoes through a strainer and set aside to use later.
- Heat bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add in the ground bison. Break the meat apart as it cooks and add in the chopped onion and green chile. Cook just until the bison is mostly browned, then add in the garlic and cook for another minute or so. Pour out any excess fat and liquid.
- Add in the 2 tablespoons water, green chile powder, mustard, cumin, smoked paprika, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for about 3 more minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and cheese if desired. Add the filling into the thawed frozen pie crusts. Cover with puff pastry on top and remove the excess from the edges. Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the pie to vent. Cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until the pie is golden brown. Serve slices garnished with fresh cilantro.
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.