Bison or Grass Fed Beef Filets With Shiitake Mushrooms
I love our filets (especially the bison ones) cooked simply with just butter, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. But it’s nice to switch it up every once in a while, and shiitake mushrooms never disappoint. Our buttery tender filet mignons drenched in a buttery mushroom sauce cooked with flavorful bison tallow are an absolute pleasure. Fresh rosemary and shallots pair perfectly with this recipe. As always, we recommend cooking our filets to rare or medium rare at the most. The tenderloin has very little fat, and to enjoy its naturally incredible texture it’s necessary to cook it properly. This is especially true for bison which is a naturally leaner meat. Don’t be fooled, though - bison is also naturally more tender and flavorful. Our grass fed beef is always a delicious choice and people tell us all the time that it’s the best beef they’ve ever tasted.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
Beef That’s Pasture Raised In Mountain Valleys
Our grass-fed & finished beef is raised essentially wild on a beautiful 20,000 acre ranch here in New Mexico. The cows roam freely as far as the eye can see with extremely minimal handling. For those familiar with New Mexico, it might sound surprising that there’s so much lush green grass for them to graze on. These fields are naturally irrigated by a sparkling river flowing with ice-melt from the Sangre de Cristo mountains. We started stocking beef due to popular demand from customers who wanted to eat this meat with the knowledge that it’s impeccably sourced.
- 4 bison or grass fed beef filet mignons
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon bison tallow
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1.5 cups bison bone broth
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, place the tenderloin steaks in the skillet. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, flipping the filets occasionally. When cooked to desired doneness (we recommend medium rare at the most particularly for bison) remove and set aside. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the butter and bison tallow to the skillet. When melted, add in the chopped mushrooms and minced shallots. Cook, stirring frequently for about 3 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened and turning golden brown.
- Add the bison bone broth and chopped rosemary to the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any flavorful browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the skillet. Continue to cook for about 2 minutes or until it thickens as desired. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the warm filets with the mushroom sauce spooned over the top. Enjoy!
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.