Salisbury steak is a classic American dish that’s been around for over 100 years. Rather than being a steak, like the name implies, it’s a hamburger patty. The patty is made with the same ingredients as meatloaf or meatballs, and a delicious gravy mixture along with golden brown onions and mushrooms over top. There are loads of delicious flavors in this dish and if you like things like meatloaf, you’ll love Salisbury steak. The key (as always with cooking) is using great ingredients. The bison bone broth really takes this dish to the next level, although if you don’t have any on hand you can definitely substitute for any other broth or use a bouillon cube.
A Classic American Dinner Recipe
This is the perfect main dish to serve alongside mashed potatoes for a classic American dinner that will remind you of your grandma’s house (in the best way!). Salisbury steak traditionally calls for lean ground beef, but I used our delicious ground elk instead. Elk is naturally lean, full of flavor and naturally tender. This would be great with any of our ground meats however, and I’m looking forward to trying it with ground bison next. It’s a really satisfying dinner that has tons of flavor, protein and other nutrients.
Elk Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our elk live completely free range, roaming on 20,000 to 100,000 acre ranches. We source from two locations, one being the Rocky Mountains of the United States. The other source that fit our strict quality standards was an elk ranch in the pristine mountain valleys of New Zealand. They wander as they please, grazing and foraging as they engage in all of their natural instinctive behaviors. As with all of our meat, these animals are never administered hormones, antibiotics or steroids of any kind. Elk is some of the most delicious and healthy meat you can eat, considered by many to be the most heart healthy meat in existence. These animals live essentially wild with minimal handling. Chefs love using our elk for its delicate flavor and outstanding tenderness.
- 1 ½ pounds ground elk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ¼ cups assorted mushrooms of choice
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 ⅔ cups bison bone broth
- ½ cup Italian herb bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- In a dry cast iron skillet, cook the mushrooms for a couple minutes to cook out some of the moisture (don’t cook them all the way yet). Set the mushrooms aside. Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions until golden brown, fragrant and tender. Add the mushrooms back in and cook for approximately 4-5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the skillet and set the mixture aside on a plate.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground elk with ¼ cup bison bone broth, all of the bread crumbs, and the egg. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Combine thoroughly, but don’t overmix. Form six equally sized patties with the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the bone broth, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and Dijon mustard.
- Heat the cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the patties on both sides. Spread the onion and mushroom mixture evenly over each patty. Pour the bone broth mixture into the skillet. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the meat reaches desired doneness. Remove from the heat and let rest for approximately 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.