If there’s one thing I really love, it’s fancy yet simple appetizers. These maple bacon figs fit the bill perfectly. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh figs available in your area, I highly suggest you make them immediately! Our luscious duck bacon is the perfect accompaniment to succulent fresh figs caramelized in robust maple syrup and sprinkled with a kick of red chile flakes. This is the perfect appetizer to bring in the fall season and have you and your loved ones feeling warm, cozy and content. Prepare these for your next get together or just a relaxing dinner with your loved ones. Personally, I envision my next time making these being the first time I use our fireplace for the oncoming cooler weather. Although it’s still warm right now here in Santa Fe, I know that chilly fall weather is just around the corner.
Using a great quality maple syrup is key to the flavor combination in this recipe. You want a robust, strong maple flavor, so go for grade A or grade B (they’re technically the same thing). And make sure you get the legit stuff, too. Flavored imitation maple syrup just won’t cut it. You could sub red wine vinegar for the balsamic vinegar, if it’s what you have on hand. And of course, our wild boar bacon would be a perfectly acceptable substitute for the duck bacon. If you do use wild boar bacon, consider adding a little oil or fat to the pan to compensate for the higher fat content of the duck bacon. Either variety will be incredibly delicious.
Our Flavorful Duck Bacon Will Blow You Away
Duck bacon is actually meat cut from the breast of the duck where there is a large amount of fat. Nonetheless, it’s incredibly similar in texture and flavor to more familiar varieties of bacon. Our ducks are raised in quiet, spacious barns on a small group of farms in rural Indiana. They are often raised by Mennonite or Amish farmers, and are lovingly cared for on family farms. They are White Perks ducks, bred for their tender, mild flavored meat that is preferred by most people with an Americanized palette. This duck meat easily adapts to a wide range of flavor profiles and cuisines.
- ½ pound duck bacon, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (grade A or grade B, robust in flavor)
- 10 large ripe fresh figs, sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¾ – 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, slowly cook the chopped duck bacon. When it’s brown and crisp, remove from the skillet and transfer the cooked bacon to a separate bowl or plate lined with a paper towel. Reserve for later use.
- Add the maple syrup to the skillet. Swirl to combine with the duck fat from the bacon. Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the figs to the skillet, placing the cut side down. Cook for approximately five minutes, or until the figs are softened and becoming caramelized.
- On a large platter, arrange the figs with the caramelized side facing upwards. While the figs are hot, press the chopped bacon into the surface of each fig. Distribute all of the bacon evenly amongst the fig halves.
- Reduce the heat on the skillet to medium. Add the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine with the maple syrup & duck fat mixture. Bring the liquid to a simmer and stir constantly for about a minute until it thickens slightly. Drizzle the sauce over the figs.
- Sprinkle the figs with the red pepper flakes to finish. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.