Chicago Style Pizza With Bison, Duck Bacon & Mushrooms
This homemade deep dish Chicago style pizza is everything I had ever dreamed of. A cast iron skillet is the perfect way to make this indulgent pizza pie, giving you a perfectly browned crust and warm, gooey cheese and toppings. This pizza recipe produces homemade deep dish crust filled with delicious, tender ground bison, duck bacon and cremini mushrooms surrounded by cheesy goodness and perfectly seasoned tomato sauce. Make this for your next pizza night at home - you’ll be glad you did.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime.
By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
Applewood Smoked Duck Bacon: Your New Favorite Indulgence
Duck bacon is actually meat cut from the breast of the duck where there is a large amount of fat. Nonetheless, it’s incredibly similar in texture and flavor to more familiar varieties of bacon. Our ducks are raised in quiet, spacious barns on a small group of farms in rural Indiana. They are often raised by Mennonite or Amish farmers, and are lovingly cared for on family farms. They are White Perks ducks, bred for their tender, mild flavored meat that is preferred by most people with an Americanized palette. This duck meat easily adapts to a wide range of flavor profiles and cuisines.
For the crust:
- 3 ½ cups flour + extra for your work surface
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 package rapid-rising yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the pizza:
- 6 cups cheese, divided
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground bison
- 1 pound duck bacon
- ½ pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Pre-cook the ground bison and duck bacon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of the flour, cornmeal, coconut sugar, rapid-rising yeast and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Set aside.
- Heat the water, butter and olive oil in a saucepan. When it’s very warm but not too hot, add the liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix just until combined enough that all the flour is moistened. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface. Knead until it becomes smooth and stretchy in texture (this should take approximately 7 minutes).
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, coating the dough ball in the grease on all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place somewhere warm. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size - approximately 30 minutes.
- Punch the dough down. Separate it into two pieces. Roll each piece into a circle. Grease two 10 inch cast iron skillets and place the crusts inside. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese evenly in the bottom of both crusts.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a separate bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, sauce, paste and all of the seasonings.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce on top of the cheese for each pizza. Divide the cooked ground bison, duck bacon and mushrooms evenly between both pizzas. Top with another cup of shredded cheese on each one, plus two tablespoons of grated Parmesan sprinkled on top.
- Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Uncover the pizzas and bake for another 5-10 minutes until they’re golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.