Zuppa Toscana With Heritage Pork Sausage & Wild Boar Bacon
Zuppa toscana is a traditional Italian soup originating in Tuscany. It’s really easy to make and full of flavor with a little kick (if you desire) from crushed red pepper. Our heritage pork mild Italian sausage was practically made for this recipe, and it’s a match made in heaven with our wild boar bacon. This flavorful soup is delicious, creamy and satisfying with thinly sliced potatoes and chopped kale. It’s a real crowd pleaser and perfect for soaking up with breadsticks.
Our Best Selling Wild Boar Bacon
If you’ve never had the opportunity to try our wild boar bacon before, you’re in for a real treat. Bacon is already known for making any dish extra delicious, and wild boar bacon is even more craveable than the bacon most of us grew up eating. We can barely keep it in stock because it’s so popular. These boars roam the forests of the Southwest, foraging for roots, nuts, berries and tubers. This gives our wild boar meat a nutty, complex flavor profile that has so much depth and dimension compared to conventional pork bacon. It’s also slightly less greasy than conventional bacon and contains more vitamins and minerals. It’s tastier, healthier and on top of that it’s one of the most sustainable meats you can eat.
Free Range Heritage Pork Raised On The Rio Grande River
Our heritage pork is raised completely free range on a beautiful small farm here in Northern New Mexico. Each animal has approximately one half acre of land. These pigs roam as they please, swimming in the Rio Grande river. The farm is a rehabilitation center for those struggling with drug addictions. The center features agricultural therapy through caring for and interacting with the pigs. These animals get daily interaction, treats and live a completely stress-free life. Living stress-free is important for all animals, but particularly essential for pigs because they are quite sensitive. This pork is USDA Certified and grain fed with a nutritionally balanced diet. The pigs consume a nutritionally ideal ratio of crude protein, crude fiber and plant fiber. This pork is completely hormone, steroid and antibiotic free - like all of the meat we offer.
- 1 lb heritage pork mild Italian sausage
- Crushed red pepper
- 5 slices wild boar bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt to taste
- 8 ½ cups bison bone broth
- 6 red potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the pork sausage and as much crushed red pepper as you desire (or omit completely). Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked all the way through. Remove the cooked sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Pour any excess fat out of the Dutch oven.
- Cook the chopped bacon until it’s nice and crispy. Set aside with the sausage. Pour excess fat out of the pot but leave enough to cook the onions and garlic. Add the onions in first and cook for a couple of minutes. Then, add in the garlic. Cook until tender and fragrant.
- Add the bison bone broth. Bring the pot to a boil. Add in the sliced potatoes and cook for approximately 15 minutes, until they’re tender and cooked through.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cream. Add the cooked sausage and bacon back into the pot. Cook for a few more minutes until the soup is hot all the way through.
- Immediately before serving, stir the chopped kale into the soup. Enjoy!
Our Team Would Love To Hear From You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.