Lunch Recipe: Greek Souvlaki With Wild Boar Tenderloin
Souvlaki is basically like the Greek version of a kebab. It involves giving the meat a lengthy soak in a flavorful marinade and then grilling the tasty chunks on skewers. Then the skewers are served inside pita bread with fresh (or grilled) vegetables and tzatziki sauce drizzled generously over top. Often available as satisfying street food in Greece, souvlaki is portable, quick and delicious. It’s most often served with pork, chicken or beef, but I chose to recreate authentic Greek souvlaki with our wild boar tenderloin. Although you don’t really need to marinate the meat for a full 24 hours, you’ll be glad you did if time permits. However, if you’re making these on the fly and time is short, marinating for 30 minutes or an hour will be just fine.
A Delicious & Sustainable Meat Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Expertly Butchered For Exceptional Meat
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that really outshine conventional pork. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
- 2 lbs wild boar tenderloin, chopped into large cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 5 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Pita bread and tzatziki sauce for serving
- Lemon slices and cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Make the marinade for the wild boar tenderloin. Juice the lemon into a small bowl and add in the olive oil, garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk together. Add the meat to a shallow baking dish and pour the marinade over the meat so that it’s mostly submerged. Cover and refrigerate overnight, a full 24 hours will give the best flavor.
- Preheat the grill to medium-low heat. Skewer the cubes of wild boar meat on wooden skewers that have been soaked in water. Set on a plate.
- Grill the meat for approximately 5 minutes on each side. Wild boar tenderloin should always be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Serve the cooked meat with warm pita bread. Garnish with chopped parsley, lemon, halved cherry tomatoes and tzatziki sauce drizzled over top.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.