Roti Babi Hainanese Spiced Wild Boar French Toast Sandwich
This sandwich is incredibly unique and a must-try. Hainanese cuisine comes from the island Hainan at the southern tip of China. This is a savory, absolutely delicious Southeast Asian flavored wild boar sandwich made on French toast. Traditionally made with pork, I used our ground wild boar and it was amazing. If you’re looking for a unique brunch item to make, look no further. These sandwiches are a worthwhile indulgence and if you like Asian food and French toast, you will love these.
One Of The Most Sustainable Meats You Can Eat
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Wild Boar That’s Outstanding In Flavor
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that really outshine conventional pork. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
For the spice paste:
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- Pinch cinnamon powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 3 shallots, minced
For the wild boar filling:
- 1 pound wild boar
- 8 oz can of water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- Bison tallow for cooking
For the sauce:
- ½ cup Worcestershire
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- ½ lime, juiced
- Sriracha to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 16 slices of thick bread
- Add all of the spice paste ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender. Make a smooth paste and set the mixture aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the spice paste to the skillet and stir fry until fragrant.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are tender and golden brown.
- Add the ground wild boar meat, coconut sugar, and water chestnuts to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently until the meat is browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- If desired, cut the crusts off the bread (it’s traditional).
- Make eight sandwiches with a few spoonfuls of the wild boar meat filling inside. Set the sandwiches aside.
- In a small shallow bowl or baking dish, whisk together the eggs and half and half. Working one or two at a time, coat the sandwiches on each side in the egg mixture and then fry them in the skillet using more bison tallow, butter or ghee. Cook them until they’re golden brown on both sides. Set the cooked sandwiches aside on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess grease.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised elk, bison, grass fed beef, lamb, wild boar, poultry and wild caught Alaskan seafood.