Classic French Quiche Lorraine With Wild Boar Bacon
Quiche is one of those wonderful things you can make that’s actually really easy to put together but tastes and looks sophisticated and trendy. Why go out to brunch when you can make a quiche like this from the comfort of your own home? This French recipe is a classic and is said to be the one that popularized quiche in America. Quiche lorraine features bacon, gruyere cheese and the perfect touch of herbs and spices. This is the perfect thing to make for breakfast, brunch or even lunch.
Wild Boar Bacon Makes Everything Taste Better
Our wild boar bacon is the perfect touch to take this quiche to a level above the rest. The nutty, rich flavor of wild boar is absolutely irresistible. We get customers all the time who tell us that once they try wild boar bacon, they simply don’t want any other kind. This recipe would be a great one to make with our bacon ends and pieces, which are already roughly chopped. If you can’t find gruyere cheese, gouda makes a good substitute - white cheddar would work well too.
Wild Boar: One Of The Most Sustainable Meats You Can Eat
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
- 1 frozen pie crust
- ½ lb wild boar bacon, finely chopped
- on ends & pieces
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Gouda cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- Thaw the pie crust. Pre-bake according to the instructions on the package (remember to poke some holes in the bottom). Let cool and then brush the inside of the crust with the lightly beaten egg white. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is crispy. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and set it aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the onions in the bacon fat that’s left in the skillet. Sauté to a tender golden brown, then set the cooked onions aside with the bacon.
- Crack the four eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Add in the whole milk, heavy cream, paprika and nutmeg. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Beat for a minute or two to whisk some air into the mixture. Add in the grated cheese, bacon and onion and stir to combine. Top it off with the green onions distributed evenly over the quiche.
- Bake the quiche in the preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes. It should be mostly set so that only the center has a little jiggle when moved - the eggs will continue to cook a bit after the quiche has been removed from the oven, so you want to take care that it doesn’t get overcooked.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Our Team Is Happy To Hear From You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of pasture raised bison, beef, elk, lamb, wild boar, poultry, seafood and more.