Bubble And Squeak (English Potato Cakes With Bacon)
I really enjoy some of the names of dishes from British cooking. Bubble and squeak is definitely on that list, and supposedly gets its name from the sounds that the patties make while frying. This recipe (or variations of it) date back centuries. It lends itself perfectly to using up leftover food and cleverly transforms it into a delicious breakfast. You can substitute the vegetables for whatever you have left over, as well as the meat. You can definitely make this whether you have leftovers available or not - it would just require some more time to prepare as you would need to make mashed potatoes, roast some vegetables and fry up some bacon. I like bubble and squeak made into patties, but you can also fry it up all at once in the skillet and then cut slices for individual servings.
Why Everyone Loves Cooking With Bison Tallow
Tallow is rendered fat, cooked over low heat so that it separates from bits of muscle and connective tissue. This ensures that nothing but pure fat is left behind. Tallow is great for cooking at high temperatures because it has a very high smoke point. It also has an impressive shelf life and won’t go rancid like other cooking oils. It gives food a rich, delicious flavor and can be substituted for butter or oil in any recipe. Tallow used to be a kitchen staple before the popularization of vegetable oils. It’s far nutritionally superior, plus makes food taste and cook better. Once I tried cooking my food with tallow, I stopped purchasing vegetable oils completely. It really does make that big of a difference.
One Of The Most Sustainable Meats You Can Eat
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
- Bison tallow or butter
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- ½ cup chopped roasted brussels sprouts
- ½ cup chopped roasted carrots
- ½ pound cooked wild boar bacon, chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fried eggs
- Melt some bison tallow or butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until they’re tender and fragrant. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the mashed potatoes, bacon, chopped vegetables and cooked onion to a mixing bowl. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Form patties with the mixture. Melt more butter or tallow in the skillet as necessary and fry the patties in batches, flipping frequently and pressing gently into the pan. Cook until they’re golden brown on all sides and heated all the way through.
- Season with additional sea salt and freshly ground black pepper as desired. Set the patties aside and keep warm.
- Fry the eggs, adding more bison tallow or butter to the skillet as necessary.
- Serve the bubble and squeak patties alongside the fried eggs. Enjoy immediately!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team!
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of pasture raised bison, beef, elk, lamb, wild boar, poultry, seafood and more.