Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Flatbreads With Avocado & Bacon
These shrimp and bacon flatbreads are filling, fresh and satisfying. I love shrimp when I”m looking for a boost of protein that’s really quick and convenient to cook. Chopped wild boar bacon or duck bacon make this recipe even more delicious. Kewpie mayonnaise is a Japanese condiment made only from egg yolks and with some slightly different ingredients from regular mayo giving it a distinctive Asian flavor. It’s extra creamy and makes these flatbreads turn out super yummy. If you can’t find it, just use a good quality regular mayonnaise and add more Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or soy sauce and rice vinegar to taste.
Sustainable And Healthy Protein From The Sea
Only about 10% of shrimp eaten in the United States are wild caught, and ours make up an incredibly small percentage that are truly environmentally conscious in every way. This makes shrimp an incredibly sustainable protein source to add into your diet, and there are many health benefits of these tasty crustaceans. Aside from offering a whopping 24 grams of protein per 100 grams of shrimp, they’re also full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They’re a great source of magnesium, zinc, potassium, iron, selenium and manganese. They’re extremely low carb making them a great choice for anyone monitoring their carbohydrate intake. Shrimp are great for weight loss and packed full of nourishment and energy.
Fair Trade Certified Wild Caught Blue Mexican Shrimp
Wild caught Mexican blue shrimp are renowned for the excellent, sweet flavor and tender yet crisp texture. They’re large in size and have a beautiful blue hue when uncooked. They are caught using the most sustainable methods in existence for harvesting shrimp. Fishermen use small-scale sailboats and an artisanal technique known as suripera. This method involves using the wind and tides to skillfully drift a highly selective net, resulting in the lowest fuel consumption and bycatch rates in the world.
Bycatch is the term for marine animals, like dolphins, turtles and others, who are harmed in the process of fishing for seafood. Additionally, these are the only Fair Trade certified shrimp on the planet. It’s never been more important than it is now to choose seafood options that are conscious of environmental impact. Our sources go above and beyond industry standards taking care every step of the way to protect the oceans, the wildlife and their employees.
- 3 limes
- 6 flatbreads
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil + extra for toasting the flatbreads
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise (or sub regular good quality mayonnaise)
- A few drops of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 6 slices wild boar or duck bacon
- 1 pound Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- Shredded lettuce for serving
- Cut the limes into wedges and remove the peel. Chop each section into three chunks and place in a small bowl. Add in one tablespoon of avocado oil and combine. Set aside. This step will remove some of the acidity from the limes while preserving their flavor.
- In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to taste. Stir to combine. Set aside
- Brush the flatbreads with avocado oil. In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, toast them until golden brown. Set aside with a towel over top to keep them warm.
- Add one tablespoon of avocado oil to the hot skillet. Cook the bacon until crisped as desired. Place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. When cool, chop the bacon.
- Cook the peeled shrimp in the same pan with the bacon fat. After a minute or so, add the garlic into the pan. Stir to combine and continue cooking just until the shrimp are cooked through. Be careful not to overcook or they can become tough.
- Assemble the flatbreads. Brush the flavored mayonnaise onto each flatbread and top with shrimp. Add the shredded lettuce, limes and avocado on top. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.