Paleo Sweet Potato Bake With Duck Or Wild Boar Bacon
If you’re into the idea of pairing bacon with some sweetness but wanting to stay away from gluten, this paleo recipe is the perfect way to satisfy your craving. Serve this for the holidays or make it as a delicious side dish. I actually love having this as an easy breakfast bake. I added a tiny bit of cayenne pepper for a kick, but feel free to leave it out or substitute with red pepper flakes. A little cardamom or curry powder could be great, too. Use classic sweet potatoes or my personal favorite - Japanese purple sweet potatoes.
Wild Boar Bacon Could Be The (Not So) Secret Ingredient
If you’ve never tried our wild boar bacon before, get ready to be obsessed. Bacon is already known for being one of the most delicious foods in existence. Our wild boars roam the forests of the Southwest, foraging their natural preferred diet of roots, nuts, berries and tubers. This gives our wild boar meat a nutty, complex flavor profile that has so much depth and dimension compared to conventional pork bacon. It’s also slightly less greasy than conventional bacon and contains more vitamins and minerals.
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat.
In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this. Our wild boar meat is unparalleled in flavor because we work with small-scale, species specific master butchers who know how to properly process this meat.
Duck Bacon: Your New Favorite Indulgence
Duck bacon is actually meat cut from the breast of the duck where there is a large amount of fat. Nonetheless, it’s incredibly similar in texture and flavor to more familiar varieties of bacon. Our ducks are raised in quiet, spacious barns on a small group of farms in rural Indiana. They are often raised by Mennonite or Amish farmers, and are lovingly cared for on family farms. They are White Pekin ducks, bred for their tender, mild flavored meat that is preferred by most people with an Americanized palette. This duck meat easily adapts to a wide range of flavor profiles and cuisines.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled if desired and chopped into cubes
- ¾ - 1 pound wild boar or duck bacon
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch of cayenne pepper if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced sweet potatoes and avocado oil. Toss to coat evenly. Add the chopped bacon, coconut sugar, cinnamon and the small pinch of cayenne pepper (if using) to the bowl. Mix to combine thoroughly, distributing the cinnamon and sugar evenly throughout the potatoes.
- Distribute the potato mixture evenly onto the two prepared baking sheets. Roast each batch for approximately 35 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender and turning a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and add the cooked potatoes and bacon to a large serving bowl. Season to taste with additional sea salt, cinnamon and coconut sugar if desired. Serve and enjoy.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.