Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp With Sweet Garlic & Ginger Sauce
This shrimp recipe is so fast, easy and delicious that I can’t resist making it whenever I have shrimp in my freezer - which is pretty often now that we’re carrying fair trade Mexican blue shrimp. The quick marinade couldn’t be simpler to throw together - and with ingredients that most of us already have in our kitchen. Feel free to substitute soy sauce instead of coconut aminos - they’re just my personal preference. The sauce is the perfect balance of sweet, salty and spicy. Feel free to leave out the fresh ginger if you don’t have it on hand, though - it’ll just have less of a kick to it.
Fair Trade Certified Wild Caught Blue Mexican Shrimp
Wild caught Mexican blue shrimp are renowned for the excellent, sweet flavor and tender yet crisp texture. They’re large in size and have a beautiful blue hue when uncooked. They are caught using the most sustainable methods in existence for harvesting shrimp. Fishermen use small-scale sailboats and an artisanal technique known as suripera. This method involves using the wind and tides to skillfully drift a highly selective net, resulting in the lowest fuel consumption and bycatch rates in the world.
Ethically Sourced Seafood Has Never Been More Important
Bycatch is the term for marine animals, like dolphins, turtles and others, who are harmed in the process of fishing for seafood. Additionally, these are the only Fair Trade certified shrimp on the planet. It’s never been more important than it is now to choose seafood options that are conscious of environmental impact. Our sources go above and beyond industry standards taking care every step of the way to protect the oceans, the wildlife and their employees.
Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Are Sustainable And Healthy
Only about 10% of shrimp eaten in the United States are wild caught, and ours make up an incredibly small percentage that are truly environmentally conscious in every way. This makes shrimp an incredibly sustainable protein source to add into your diet, and there are many health benefits of these tasty crustaceans.
Aside from offering a whopping 24 grams of protein per 100 grams of shrimp, they’re also full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They’re a great source of magnesium, zinc, potassium, iron, selenium and manganese. They’re extremely low carb making them a great choice for anyone monitoring their carbohydrate intake. Shrimp are great for weight loss and packed full of nourishment and energy.
- ⅓ cup organic honey or agave syrup
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger, minced (about a teaspoon or more to taste)
- 1 lb Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Thaw the shrimp and peel them. Set aside.
- Whisk together the honey, coconut aminos, minced garlic and ginger in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Place the shrimp in another bowl or a freezer bag. Pour half of the marinade over the shrimp, combining thoroughly. Allow the shrimp to soak in the marinade for 15 minutes or as long as 12 hours. Cover and reserve the rest of the marinade in the refrigerator for later use.
- Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp into the pan. Discard the marinade that was used for the raw shrimp. Cook them on one side until they turn pink, then flip. Add the reserved marinade to the pan. It should only take about 45 seconds of cooking time per side. Take care not to overcook the shrimp or else they’ll become tough.
- Serve immediately with the marinade from the pan poured over top. Garnish with chopped scallions.
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.