Greek Salad With Creamy Tzatziki Dressing & Chicken Thighs
There’s nothing like the particular combination of flavors in a Greek salad. The olives, the herbs, the feta cheese… it’s so craveable and also so easy to make at home. This recipe will give you a Greek salad that in my opinion is better than almost any restaurant version.
Featuring our flavorful, juicy chicken thighs seasoned generously with mouthwatering herbs and spices, this is a Greek salad that can star as the main course for lunch or dinner. Although a truly traditional Greek salad just uses oil and vinegar as dressing, the creamy tzatziki used in this rendition is very hard to say no to.
Humanely Raised Chicken Tastes & Feels Better
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for the planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a co-op of family farms, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Never Ever Given Antibiotics, Steroids Or Hormones
These birds are humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls.
They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
- 2 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- 2 tablespoons basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Bison tallow, ghee or avocado oil as needed to cook the chicken
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
For the creamy tzatziki dressing:
- 1 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Thaw the chicken thighs in the refrigerator overnight. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Debone the chicken thighs. First, feel for where the bone is (it’s easy to tell). Then, using a small, sharp knife, make cuts along both sides of the bone. When it’s separated from the rest of the thigh, use the knife to go underneath the bone detaching it completely. Remove and use to make broth, or discard. Set aside so that the chicken thighs can sit out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes before cooking - this will ensure that the meat cooks evenly.
- In a medium bowl, make the dressing. Whisk together the yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice & zest, dill, garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a small dish, combine the oregano, basil, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Season the chicken thighs generously with the mixture.
- Heat bison tallow, ghee or avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add in the chicken thighs. Work in batches if necessary. Turn the chicken occasionally until cooked all the way through - approximately 10 minutes (always cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit). Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Assemble the salads. Divide the lettuce between four bowls and top with cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, onion, olives, feta and green peppers. Pour the dressing on top and toss to combine. Add sliced chicken and drizzle with a little more dressing.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
We’re Here To Provide Your Family With Quality Meat
At Beck & Bulow, we’re passionate about providing the best meat available, delivered straight to your door. All of our meat is ethically sourced and raised the way nature intended. Each of our offerings is hand cut by local butchers with care and precision. Every order is hand packaged at our Santa Fe warehouse by our team.
You will receive your meat in a reusable cooler packed with dry ice to maintain optimal freshness. Feel free to reach out, we’re always happy to answer questions and share cooking recommendations. We’re confident that you will love this meat as much as we do.