Scary Monster Bison Burgers For A Fun Halloween Dinner
You might not think of Halloween as much of a food holiday, but it’s one of my favorites to cook for. Most people associate it with copious amounts of candy and sweets, but I love getting really creative with savory foods for this spooky occasion. These monster burgers are so much fun and a great way to get kids involved with cooking dinner. People of all ages will really enjoy these adorable burgers. We all know food tastes better when it looks cool! These burgers are a great way to combine dinner with Halloween crafts. Not to mention, they’re absolutely delicious. We often hear from customers that our bison burgers are they best they’ve ever tasted.
Also Read: Top 5 Recipes To Get You In The Mood For Halloween
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever.
The key to preparing delicious bison is not to overcook it. It always needs to be cooked less than you would typically cook the same cut of beef. When cooked too much, bison will become tough - we always recommend cooking to medium rare for the ultimate flavor and texture. From premium steaks to fajita meat to burgers, any dish you’re used to cooking with beef will be amazing when prepared with bison.
Also Read: Halloween “Mummy” Pigs In A Blanket With Bison Hot Dogs
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 2 packs Bison Burger Patties
- Six brioche buns
- Good quality mayonnaise and ketchup
- Six slices of sharp cheddar cheese
- Six slices wild boar or duck bacon from Beck & Bulow
- Lettuce of choice for serving
- 12 stuffed olives
- 6 toothpicks
Also Read: Homemade Pizza Calzones With Ground Bison And Fresh Herbs
- Set out the bison burger patties at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon. Set aside.
- Adding bison tallow to the pan if necessary, cook the bison burgers to medium rare. They should retain at least a touch of pink inside to have optimal tender texture and flavor. Be careful not to overcook.
- While cooking the burgers, use the tip of a small knife to cut the slices of cheese into a zigzag shape resembling monster teeth. Make six sets of teeth and set aside.
- Toast the brioche buns until golden brown. Then, get ready to assemble the monster burgers.
- Assemble the burgers by setting one toasted bun on each plate. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the bun (if desired). Add lettuce to the bottom half, followed by a bison burger patty. Add bacon coming over the side of the patty to be the monster’s “tongue”. Place the cheddar cheese “teeth” over the top. Add ketchup as desired to look like blood. Finish with the top half of the bun, angled so that you can see the monster’s mouth inside.
- Use toothpicks to attach two olives to the top of each bun to look like eyes. Serve and enjoy your spookily delicious monster burgers!
Our Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Also Read: Lunch Recipe: Bison Butter Burgers You Need To Try
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.