Oven Baked Spaghetti With Ground Bison & Fresh Mozzarella
This baked spaghetti is a meal that everyone in your family will absolutely love, including your kids. People always come back for second helpings of this delicious spaghetti. It’s baked in a casserole dish with layers of noodles and cheese topped with a hearty meat sauce. I like to top mine off with chopped fresh basil. You get all of the tastes in each bite and it’s super cheesy, meaty and flavorful. I absolutely love using ground bison for spaghetti - the slightly sweet flavor matches perfectly with noodles, tomato sauce and Italian herbs.
The Spaghetti Dinner Recipe Everyone Will Love
Be sure to make some crusty, buttery garlic bread to serve on the side. This is the perfect weekend recipe, and any leftovers are very tasty reheated. It’s a great way to mix it up from your typical spaghetti dinner, and the way this bakes up in the oven will have you making it again and again. The perfect easy yet delicious dish for entertaining or having a cozy night in with your family. This spaghetti would also be great made with our heritage pork mild Italian sausage (just reduce the amount of Italian seasoning in the recipe a bit) or ground wild boar. Feel free to subsitute ricotta cheese for the fresh mozzarella if you prefer the flavor and texture.
Free Range Bison That Live On Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 10,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow
- 1 ½ lbs ground bison
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella or ricotta cheese
- 3 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cook the spaghetti noodles according to the package directions. Use salted water. When the noodles are cooked, drain them and put them back into the pot. Pour in one jar of pasta sauce and stir. Set the noodles and sauce aside.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and cook for a couple minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook until tender and fragrant. Add the ground bison and half of the Italian seasoning to the skillet. Cook just until the bison meat is browned. Drain off any excess fat, stir in the remaining jar of spaghetti sauce and set aside.
- Assemble the spaghetti in the baking dish. Add in half of the noodle mixture, and sprinkle ⅓ of the remaining Italian seasoning evenly over the top. Add one cup of Parmesan cheese. Layer the fresh mozzarella over the noodles and Parmesan, and sprinkle with another ⅓ of the Italian seasoning. Add the rest of the noodle mixture on top along with another cup of Parmesan and the remaining ⅓ of the Italian seasoning. Add the butter evenly over the top, followed by the meat sauce mixture. Finish with the remaining cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the spaghetti in the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.