The Best Ever Signature Beck & Bulow Bison Chili Dogs
Our bison hotdogs are one of our most popular items and it’s for good reason. They’re 100% bison with a bison collagen casing and they are so delicious and convenient. These hotdogs are definitely a team favorite - we even had them for co-founder JP Bulow’s birthday dinner last year. We could have had anything from filet mignon to halibut to rack of lamb but bison chili dogs were what he was craving. He claims that this birthday dinner was one of the best meals of his life, which just goes to show that food doesn’t have to be fancy to be memorable.
ground bison is our favorite way to take things up a notch when it comes to hotdogs. The best part is that it couldn’t be easier to prepare. The chili can be made in an Instant Pot, crock pot or on the stovetop. I’ve included measurements in this recipe, but hotdog chili is the perfect opportunity to cook intuitively and add all the ingredients according to taste and personal preference. Order some bison hot dogs and your choice of ground meats for premium meat delivery and get ready to get creative in the kitchen!
Bison hotdogs and bison chili are the best of the best, so don’t skimp on the other parts of your chili dog experience. Make sure you get good quality hot dog buns (our favorite are brioche) and most importantly, toast them! You can throw them on the grill for a couple minutes or use the broiler on your oven. The bun will be soaking up all of that saucy chili goodness that overflows from your hot dog so it’s imperative that it can hold up to the chili in deliciousness. The best part is you can get both the chili meat and the best hot dogs you’ve ever had delivered right to your home with online meat delivery.
There’s just something about a well-crafted chili dog that is so meaty and incredibly satisfying. It’s such an easy option to throw on the grill and kids and adults alike absolutely love them. A crowd pleaser that doesn’t take too much time or planning to create a really enjoyable meal. To me, the best thing about our hot dogs is that they’re not only delicious, but I can feel great about eating them since they are 100% bison and have a short ingredient list. These hot dogs are held to the same quality standards as all of our other meat, and you’ll be able to taste and feel the difference. With premium meat delivery from Beck & Bulow, you can get them delivered straight to your door.
- 2 lbs ground bison (or you can get creative and mix ground bison with ground elk or any of our other ground meats) available for online meat delivery from Beck & Bulow
- Bison tallow or ghee if you choose to brown the meat first - even if you’re not browning the meat a dollop of fat is always a welcome addition
- 1 cup ketchup, we suggest organic and lower sugar if possible
- 8oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup water or bison bone broth
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons Hatch green chile powder or other chili powder
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or whatever mustard you have on hand)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, coconut sugar or maple syrup
- Brown the ground meat in the Instant Pot using the saute feature, or you can brown on the stovetop in a skillet. Be sure to break the meat up as much as possible for a good texture.
- Add the ground meat along with the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot, crock pot or a large pot for the stovetop. Cook the chili for 3 hours on low in the crock pot, or if using the Instant Pot cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. If cooking on the stovetop, simply simmer the chili for 25-30 minutes. Chili tastes better when the flavors have more time to meld together, so I love making mine the slow way in the crock pot if I have time. It always tastes even better the next day. If cooking your chili in the crock pot or on the stove, make sure to give it an occasional stir.