Homemade Scottish Sausage Rolls With Beef Or Bison
These Scottish sausage rolls are simple and satisfying in the best way. The perfectly seasoned meat is encased in fluffy, golden brown puff pastry. It’s sort of like a pig in a blanket but with super flavorful ground meat instead of a hot dog. According to my research, there is an English variety of sausage rolls and a Scottish variety. They’re quite similar, the main difference being in the type of meat that’s used. English sausage rolls usually contain pork, while Scottish sausage rolls traditionally contain beef. I made mine with ground bison, putting an American spin on this British classic. However, they’d also be delicious with our American Wagyu beef, or any of our other ground meats. We also have our heritage pork sausage in mild Italian and New Mexico green chile flavors. If you choose our heritage pork sausage, it is pre-seasoned so the rest of the spices included in the recipe will not be necessary.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
American Wagyu Beef Raised In New Mexico
Our American Wagyu beef is raised on the same ranch as our bison here in New Mexico. These cows are part Angus, part Wagyu and live free range roaming the same land as the buffalo. They eat mainly grass and have high quality grain available to them. These cows live essentially wild on this land covered in rolling hills with trees and a river, surrounded by the majestic Sangre de Cristo Mountains. This beef is especially marbled and flavorful, offering incredible nutrition, taste and texture.
- Puff pastry
- 1 lb ground bison or ground American Wagyu beef
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt bison tallow. When hot, add in the chopped onion and cook until tender and golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the breadcrumbs with ½ of the beaten egg and ¼ cup of water until they absorb some of the moisture. Reserve the rest of the egg for brushing onto the rolls before baking. Then, add in the ground meat, cooked onion and spices. Add a little more water if necessary to moisten the mixture. Mix with your hands just until combined.
- Cut the puff pastry into squares. The size is up to you, depending on if you want large rolls or small rolls. Shape the meat mixture into logs and place them in the top ⅓ of each square. The meat logs should be about 25% of the size of square in order to not overfill the sausage rolls.
- Roll the pastry over the meat, dampening the edge with your finger to seal. Crimp with your fingers or a fork. Brush the reserved egg onto the outside of the sausage rolls.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. The meat should be cooked through and the pastry golden brown on the outside.
- Let rest a few minutes after baking. Serve and enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.