How To Make Homemade Machaca, Flavorful Shredded Meat
Machaca is a Mexican preparation of meat traditionally made from richly spiced, dehydrated beef. It was sort of like a super flavorful shredded jerky that can be rehydrated and added to any recipe. Nowadays, most people don’t dehydrate the meat to make machaca. This was largely done because it served as a method of preservation for the meat before the days of refrigeration. Slow cooking the meat achieves the same infusion of flavor and tender texture as the old world method of making machaca. All you need is a crock pot or Instant Pot, some good quality meat and flavorful seasonings.
American Wagyu Beef Raised In Northern New Mexico
Our beef is completely free range, from our ranch just outside of Las Vegas, New Mexico. The cows are a variety of American Wagyu that resulted from breeding Japanese Wagyu cows with Angus. The result is flavorful, tender cuts of beef that look and taste amazing. These cows live essentially wild, roaming free on a wide open expanse of beautiful land in northern New Mexico. We have a limited supply of this beef and it has been a huge hit so far with our staff and customers. And if beef just isn’t your thing, make this recipe with one of our tender and delicious bison chuck roasts. We like to have options and we know you do, too.
Free Range Bison, Raised The Way Nature Intended
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 3 pounds Bison or American Wagyu Beef Chuck Roast
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 (4 oz) cans of chopped Hatch green chiles or equal amount chopped roasted green chiles
- ½ cup bison or beef bone broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bison tallow
Also Read: Authentic Mexican Birria With American Wagyu Beef
- In a small dish combine the cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Generously season the roast on all sides, pressing into the surface of the meat. Cover and refrigerate the meat for a few hours or overnight, if time permits.
- When ready to prepare the meat, let it sit out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes.
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet. When it’s hot, add in the roast and sear all over to form a flavorful crust.
- Add the seared meat into the crockpot or Instant Pot. Add in the bone broth, chopped green chiles (and the liquid from the can - if not using canned, add a little extra bone broth), onion, minced garlic and lime juice.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours. If you’re using an Instant Pot, use the Slow Cook setting - it may require a little more time than a traditional crock pot.
- When finished cooking, the meat should be super tender and easy to shred with a fork. Use for topping nachos, making tacos, or any other recipe where flavorful, spiced meat is used.
Our Friendly Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.