American Wagyu Brisket Cantonese Style Stew With Rice
I love finding new ways to prepare brisket. It’s one of my favorite cuts of meat - richly flavored and it becomes so tender when cooked properly. This recipe creates a broth that’s incredible, flavored with layers of spices and seasonings. It’s warming, soothing and absolutely delicious. Be sure to spoon plenty of broth over top of the rice for serving. Hong Kong is well known across the globe for having amazing food selections. While traveling in India, I met a wonderful friend from Hong Kong, and her descriptions of the restaurants there were amazing. It’s on my list to visit one day - of course, travel has been put on the back burner with all the events of 2020. To me, the next best thing is to travel from the comfort of my own kitchen with flavors from around the world.
Take Your Tastebuds On An Adventure
This would also be wonderful served over egg noodles instead of rice. I think this would turn out great in an Instant Pot, too, if you’re short on time. This stew is an easy way to feed a crowd and makes for excellent leftovers. Your taste buds will be in heaven with the complex flavors of the fragrant broth and the tender, meaty brisket. Slice it thin into pieces about 1 ½ inches long - it’s easiest to do this when the meat is only partially thawed. This would also be excellent with our bison brisket, although beef is traditionally used. Our pasture raised American Wagyu beef is the perfect balance of marbled Wagyu and beefy Angus flavor.
Pasture Raised American Wagyu Beef
Our beef is completely free range, raised on our beautiful ranch just outside of Las Vegas, New Mexico. The cows are a variety of American Wagyu that resulted from breeding Japanese Wagyu cows with American Angus. The result is flavorful, tender cuts of beef that look and taste amazing. These cows live essentially wild, roaming free on a wide open expanse of beautiful land in northern New Mexico. There is a stream running through the ranch, lots of trees and absolutely stunning scenery nestled in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. They are pasture raised and true to Japanese tradition, have access to high quality grain as they desire.
- 2-3 lbs American Wagyu beef brisket, sliced into small, thin pieces
- 6 cups bison bone broth
- ½ cup sake or mirin
- 1 large onion, sliced into quarters
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced thin into discs
- 2 Thai chilies
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 whole star anise seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hoisin
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¾ cup daikon radishes, peeled and sliced into thin half moons
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- Freshly steamed rice for serving
- Add the sliced brisket to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, skimming the top of the water occasionally.
- Add the sake or mirin, quartered onion, ginger, Thai chilies, bay leaves, star anise, cinnamon, coconut sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 1 ½ hours.
- Add the hoisin, coconut aminos and rice vinegar to the pot. Cook for another 45 minutes to an hour, or until the brisket is very tender.
- Add the daikon radish, carrot and minced shallot to the pot. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over freshly steamed rice, garnished with chopped green onions.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Happy To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of pasture raised bison, beef, elk, lamb, wild boar, poultry, seafood and more.