How To Make Cuban Picadillo With American Wagyu Beef
Picadillo is a Cuban style of hash traditionally made with ground beef. It has tons of flavors and texture thanks to ingredients like chopped green olives, capers and raisins. Plenty of spices and a touch of coconut sugar make this simple dish completely irresistible. Traditionally served over white rice, picadillo also makes a scrumptious filling for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, sandwiches, etc. Great for breakfast (fry an egg and put it on top), lunch or dinner, it’s versatile and always satisfying.
I highly recommend making some fried plantains on the side if you can get your hands on some - they go perfectly together. It’s also great with tortillas, naan or other types of flatbread to scoop up all the goodness. This is a highly customizable recipe - add in potatoes or other vegetables, chop up some green chiles for extra spice, or experiment with different types of stuffed olives. You can find the sazon seasoning packets on the international aisle of most grocery stores, or even make your own at home (there’s lots of recipes available for homemade sazon online).
Pasture Raised American Wagyu Beef
Our beef is completely free range, raised on our beautiful ranch just outside of Las Vegas, New Mexico. The cows are a variety of American Wagyu that resulted from breeding Japanese Wagyu cows with American Angus. The result is flavorful, tender cuts of beef that look and taste amazing. These cows live essentially wild, roaming free on a wide open expanse of beautiful land in northern New Mexico. There is a stream running through the ranch, lots of trees and absolutely stunning scenery nestled in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. They are pasture raised and true to Japanese tradition, have access to high quality grain as they desire.
Never Cooked With Tallow? Here’s Why It’s The Best
Tallow is rendered fat, cooked over low heat so that it separates from bits of muscle and connective tissue. This ensures that nothing but pure fat is left behind. It used to be a staple in every kitchen, but the advent of vegetable and seed oils took over for many years. Tallow is great for cooking at high temperatures because it has a very high smoke point. It also has an impressive shelf life and won’t go rancid like other cooking oils. It gives food a rich, delicious flavor and can be substituted for butter or oil in any recipe. In fact, one of our employees here at Beck & Bulow loves to mix it into his coffee, bulletproof style. If you don’t have tallow on hand, simply replace with your favorite cooking oil.
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound American Wagyu ground beef
- ⅓ cup green olives, sliced in half, pits removed
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 ½ tablespoons capers
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste
- 2 packages sazon seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add in the garlic and bell pepper. Cook until tender and fragrant.
- Add the American Wagyu ground beef. Cook just until browned, breaking the meat apart into crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cover with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Cook for approximately 10 minutes until the picadillo is hot all the way through and the flavors have melded.
Reach Out To The Beck & Bulow Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.