Mouthwatering Wild Caught Alaskan Smoked Salmon Crepes
Whenever we open a package of our wild caught Alaskan smoked salmon at our office, it doesn’t last longer than 20 minutes. It’s so flavorful and satisfying, nobody can resist it. Even though it’s a fact that it’s extremely delicious all by itself, there are some really wonderful ways to cook with smoked salmon. These crepes are the perfect fancy breakfast for a special occasion or a lazy Sunday. Make these for your family and you can thank us later.
Wild Caught Salmon From Fishermen We Know By Name
All of our fish are caught using a hook and fishing line. They never go through the machinery that salmon canneries use, which negatively affects the taste and texture of the fish. Most commercially caught fish also sit around on the boat before being bled out, which negatively affects the taste and quality of the meat. These salmon are bled right away on the boat, resulting in the most premium and flavorful salmon you can get. They’re then pressure sealed and flash frozen at the peak of freshness.
With these methods, having our flash frozen salmon delivered to you is actually highly preferable to buying fresh, unfrozen salmon unless you happen to be or live next door to a skilled fisherman. And even if that’s the case, the waters we source from off the Alaskan coast are some of the most pristine on the planet, making it very unlikely to find better fish anywhere else.
Our Pristine Alaskan Smoked Keta Salmon
Keta salmon is also known as pink salmon. It has a lower oil content than the other varieties, but has a lovely firm textured flesh and excellent flavor. It has a lighter flavor which some people prefer over sockeye or king salmon. It’s the perfect variety of salmon for smoking and adding flavors to, and we offer a couple different varieties of smoked keta salmon. It offers one of the best values as far as salmon goes and is delicious in its own right.
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter (cooled to room temperature)
- ¼ cup creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons dill, chopped
- Zest of ½ a lemon (or to taste)
- 2 cups strained ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ pound smoked salmon chopped
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Making the crepe batter in a blender is easiest, or you can whisk it together in a bowl. Simply combine the milk, flour, coconut sugar, sea salt, eggs and ½ of the butter. Mix until smooth. For best results, allow the batter to sit out for about fifteen minutes at room temperature before making the crepes.
- Whisk together the creme fraiche and dill in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the drained ricotta cheese, parsley, chives, and zest of ½ a lemon (or more to taste). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat some of the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. To make each crepe, add approximately ¼ cup of batter and gently rotate the skillet so that the batter fills the bottom completely. Cook for approximately 2 minutes or until the bottom side of the crepe turns golden brown. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the edges. Quickly flip the whole crepe over using your fingers. Cook the other side for approximately one minute. Set the cooked crepes aside and repeat the process until all of the batter is cooked. Add more butter to grease the skillet as needed.
- To assemble the crepes, smear each one with the ricotta cheese mixture, focusing on the center of the crepe. Add smoked salmon and pinch the sides of the crepe together so that the middle is still open. Top with red onion, capers and creme fraiche. Garnish with chopped chives and parsley. Serve immediately.
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.