Louisiana Po’Boy Sandwiches With Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp
The shrimp po’boy is a New Orleans classic that I’ve always had a soft spot for. The breaded and fried shrimp with spicy mayo, seasoned to perfection with herbs and spices on soft bread with melted cheese (if that’s your thing) is nothing short of mouthwatering. Don’t let the humble name of this sandwich fool you - it’s a real crowd pleaser that everyone will love. Add cheese if desired, or leave it off - they’re delicious either way.
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Scampi With Asiago Cheese
Fair Trade Certified Wild Caught Blue Mexican Shrimp
Wild caught Mexican blue shrimp are renowned for the excellent, sweet flavor and tender yet crisp texture. They’re large in size and have a beautiful blue hue when uncooked. They are caught using the most sustainable methods in existence for harvesting shrimp. Fishermen use small-scale sailboats and an artisanal technique known as suripera. This method involves using the wind and tides to skillfully drift a highly selective net, resulting in the lowest fuel consumption and bycatch rates in the world.
Ethically Sourced Seafood Has Never Been More Important
Bycatch is the term for marine animals, like dolphins, turtles and others, who are harmed in the process of fishing for seafood. Additionally, these are the only Fair Trade certified shrimp on the planet. It’s never been more important than it is now to choose seafood options that are conscious of environmental impact. Our sources go above and beyond industry standards taking care every step of the way to protect the oceans, the wildlife and their employees.
Also Read: Louisiana Jambalaya With Chicken & Mexican Blue Shrimp
Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp Are Sustainable And Healthy
Only about 10% of shrimp eaten in the United States are wild caught, and ours make up an incredibly small percentage that are truly environmentally conscious in every way. This makes shrimp an incredibly sustainable protein source to add into your diet, and there are many health benefits of these tasty crustaceans.
Aside from offering a whopping 24 grams of protein per 100 grams of shrimp, they’re also full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They’re a great source of magnesium, zinc, potassium, iron, selenium and manganese. They’re extremely low carb making them a great choice for anyone monitoring their carbohydrate intake. Shrimp are great for weight loss and packed full of nourishment and energy.
(Makes 2 large sandwiches or 4 smaller sandwiches)
- 1 pound Wild Blue Mexian Shrimp peeled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce of choice (divided)
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Avocado oil for frying
- Sandwich rolls or buns
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Bread and butter pickles for garnish
Also Read: Wild Blue Mexican Shrimp With Sweet Garlic & Ginger Sauce
- Thaw and peel the shrimp. In a mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of hot sauce, and about ½ tablespoon of sea salt. Whisk together. Add in the shrimp and combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about an hour.
- While the shrimp are marinating, combine another ½ tablespoon of sea salt, flour, cornmeal, garlic powder, cayenne, thyme, oregano and freshly ground black pepper in a small dish. Reserve for later use.
- Using a large, thick bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat about 2 inches of avocado oil until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade, allowing them to drain. Then coat thoroughly in the flour and spice mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Work in batches to fry the shrimp. Take care not to overcrowd the pot, and pause to let the oil reheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit in between batches. The shrimp should be golden brown, crispy and cooked all the way through. Place the cooked shrimp on the paper towel lined plate, sprinkling with sea salt.
- Assemble the sandwiches, toasting the bread first. If desired, add cheese before toasting. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Also Read: Wild Caught Alaskan King Salmon With Lemon, Garlic & Butter
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.