Hummus, Spiced Lamb & Eggplant Bowls With Fresh Herbs
If you’ve ever wished you could turn hummus into a meal, this recipe is for you. And no, I don’t mean finishing off a container of hummus and half a bag of chips and calling it dinner. Homemade hummus is really easy and tastes amazing, so if time permits I highly recommend making your own. However, there’s plenty of delicious options available at the store so to save time you can always just buy it.
The savory, spiced ground lamb meat and eggplant give substance to this meal and fresh cilantro is the perfect garnish for this Mediterranean crowd pleaser. You could also substitute fresh mint or parsley if cilantro isn’t your thing. Serve with warm pita bread and enjoy your contented belly afterwards.
Lamb Raised In Lush Green Pastures
Our lamb is raised on the North Island of New Zealand, in the incredibly beautiful foothills of Mount Ruapehu. The lambs are born and live their lives freely roaming the lush green landscape. These animals are raised by the Maori people native to New Zealand, and have been bred for generations for extraordinary taste and quality. They graze on verdant green grass rich with nutrients and are never given any type of antibiotics or growth hormones.
Why We Choose New Zealand Lamb
Lambs in New Zealand graze on some of the world’s most lush and nutrient rich pastures. The country enjoys a unique, subtropical climate that encourages animals and plants alike to flourish. New Zealand has some of the best conditions in the world for raising lamb, which might explain why their population outnumbers humans.
Cultural traditions in New Zealand make it the industry standard to raise meat humanely and naturally. New Zealand lamb is grass fed throughout its life, unlike American lamb which is often grain finished to encourage larger size and higher body fat percentage. New Zealand lambs are smaller in size, because they were allowed to grow and develop the way nature intended.
If making your own hummus:
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup tahini
- 1.5 lemons juiced
- Sea salt to taste
For the lamb & eggplant:
- 2 teaspoons sea salt + more for cooking eggplant
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil as desired for serving
- 1 lb package of ground lamb
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced super thin
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ½ inch slices
- Bison tallow for cooking
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pita bread for serving
- If using store bought hummus, skip this step. Using a food processor, blend the chickpeas for about 30 seconds. Powdery clumps should form. Add in the chopped garlic, lemon juice, tahini and salt. Continue to process until the hummus is smooth. Then, while it’s still running, slowly pour in ½ cup of water. Continue to process until the hummus reaches desired consistency. It should be creamy and super smooth. Transfer to a plate or serving dish and set aside.
- Lay out the slices of eggplant and salt them on both sides. Let them sit for ten minutes, then brush off the salt.
- Heat bison tallow in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the slices of eggplant and cook, flipping every 2-3 minutes, until tender and golden brown. Add ½ of the garlic, coriander and cumin (and red pepper flakes if desired) to season while cooking.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Adding more bison tallow to the pan if necessary, add in the ground lamb meat. Press the meat into the pan to form a patty so that it gets brown and crispy on the outside. Season the top with the remaining half of the garlic, coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes if desired. Let the lamb cook undisturbed for about five minutes, then flip (in pieces is fine) and continue to cook the other side until it’s brown and crispy. Then, break up the meat and cook for another two minutes or so until it’s done all the way through.
- Spoon the cooked lamb over the hummus. Then, add the eggplant over top. Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately with warm pita bread.
We Settle For Nothing But The Best
At Beck & Bulow, we’re committed to providing our customers with the most impeccably sourced meat that tastes delicious. We’re proud to provide the absolute best meat to order online. Check out our selections of lamb, elk, wild boar, bison, grass-fed beef and chicken today.