Delicious Lebanese Hashweh With Lamb And Toasted Pine Nuts
Lebanese hashweh is a hearty rice and meat dish packed with tons of flavor. Hashweh has humble roots as a well-loved Middle Eastern household staple. The mouthwatering spices pair perfectly with our flavorful ground lamb and fragrant, toasted pine nuts make this recipe completely irresistible. My favorite way to enjoy hashweh is with some warm pita bread on the side - no need for a fork. This versatile dish will quickly become a go-to dinner recipe you’ll make again and again.
The Best Tasting & Most Ethically Sourced Lamb
Our lamb is raised on the North Island of New Zealand, in the incredibly beautiful foothills of Mount Ruapehu. The lambs are born and live their lives freely roaming the lush green landscape. These animals are raised by the Maori people native to New Zealand, and have been bred for generations for extraordinary taste and quality. They graze on verdant green grass rich with nutrients and are never given any type of antibiotics or growth hormones.
Why We Choose New Zealand Lamb
Lambs in New Zealand graze on some of the world’s most lush and nutrient rich pastures. The country enjoys a unique, subtropical climate that encourages animals and plants alike to flourish. New Zealand has some of the best conditions in the world for raising lamb, which might explain why their population outnumbers humans.
Cultural traditions in New Zealand make it the industry standard to raise meat humanely and naturally. New Zealand lamb is grass fed throughout its life, unlike American lamb which is often grain finished to encourage larger size and higher body fat percentage. New Zealand lambs are smaller in size, because they were allowed to grow and develop the way nature intended.
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice (uncooked)
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons of bison tallow or grass fed ghee
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread the pine nuts over a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes, just until they become fragrant and delicious smelling. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, soak the rice in water for about 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- While the rice is soaking, heat the tablespoon of bison tallow or grass fed ghee over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion to the pot and sauté for a minute or two until fragrant. Add in the ground lamb, along with all of the spices except for a small reserved amount of allspice and cinnamon (about ¼ of each reserved). Combine thoroughly. Cook for approximately 8 minutes, or until the lamb is browned nicely. Drain any excess fat from the pot.
- Add the soaked rice to the pot. Season with the reserved allspice and cinnamon, plus sea salt to taste. Pour in the 2 ½ cups of water and add in the remaining tablespoon of bison tallow or ghee. Stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the liquid has reduced significantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in the toasted pine nuts. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.