Hoppin’ John For New Years Day With Bison & Wild Boar
Hoppin’ John is a traditional Southern dish that has become well known for its popularity on New Years Day. It can be found in cookbooks dating back to the 1800s and is said by some to bring good luck for the new year ahead. It’s unclear where the name originated, but what we do know for sure is that this Southern recipe is absolutely delicious. Black eyed peas, wild rice, sausage and bacon combine with cajun seasoning for authentic Southern flavor. Traditionally made with pork bacon and sausage, used wild boar bacon and hickory smoked bison sausage.
Wild Boar Bacon Is The (Not So) Secret Ingredient
If you’ve never tried our wild boar bacon before, get ready to be obsessed. Bacon is already known for being one of the most delicious foods in existence. Our wild boars roam the forests of the Southwest, foraging their natural preferred diet of roots, nuts, berries and tubers. This gives our wild boar meat a nutty, complex flavor profile that has so much depth and dimension compared to conventional pork bacon. It’s also slightly less greasy than conventional bacon and contains more vitamins and minerals.
Free Range Bison, Raised On Our Beautiful Ranch
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
If you haven’t tried our bison sausages, you’re in for a real treat. We get customers all the time telling us that they’re the best they’ve ever tasted. Or, better yet, that they don’t even normally like eating sausages or bratwursts, but ours are irresistible to them. They have amazing flavor without any weird ingredients or additives. They’re free range, grass fed pasture raised bison meat, and are processed with care by master butchers just like the rest of our products. They add delicious flavor and protein to any recipe, and are the perfect quick meal on their own.
- ¼ pound wild boar bacon, chopped
- 2 hickory smoked bison sausages, sliced into thin half circles
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 pounds black eyed peas (frozen is fine)
- 4 cups bison bone broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups wild rice
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the chopped bacon, stirring occasionally. Add in the sliced bison sausage. Cook until browned and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic and celery to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently for approximately 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the black eyed peas, bison bone broth, chopped fresh thyme and cajun seasoning to the skillet. Cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the peas are softened. Add more liquid if necessary. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine the sausage and bacon with the black eyed pea mixture. Serve over the cooked rice and garnish with chopped scallions. Enjoy!
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar, pork and seafood.