Delicious Wild Caught Alaskan Dungeness Crab Cakes Recipe
Crab cakes have to be one of the most satisfying and indulgent seafood dishes ever. They’re warm, comforting and the creaminess and luxurious flavor of our Dungeness crab meat make these crab cakes really outstanding. I spent the majority of my life living relatively close to the ocean, and since falling in love with New Mexico seafood is one of the few things I’ve missed about my previous locations. I was thrilled when we decided to start carrying some amazing quality seafood straight from the pristine waters of Alaska, and our first shipment of Dungeness crab has already been quickly selling out.
We Carefully Selected The Boat Our Crabs Come From
While on essential business in Alaska, our owners got to see firsthand how these crabs are caught, how the boats are kept, what the fishermen are like, and everything else about the process. They specifically selected our source of Dungeness crabs for the way the boat is run and a shared philosophy around providing good food that is sustainable in ways that are respectful to the earth. We know the fishermen who catch our crabs by name and to us it’s an important part of knowing where our food comes from.
The Most Delicious Crab You’ve Ever Tasted
Our Dungeness crab comes in clusters with the shell on, lightly pre-cooked by the fishermen who catch them before they’re flash frozen. They’re delicious served steam with butter, cooked into crab cakes, in soups, with some delicious steak as surf & turf… the options are endless. The Dungeness has a sweeter flavor than other types of crab, making it more desirable than even the famous King crab for many seafood lovers. Crab is considered one of the most sustainable seafoods you can choose according to Seafood Watch.
They are very difficult to catch as they are highly skilled at hiding and avoiding traps. Our fishermen use traps known as “pots” baited with various tasty treats for the crabs. In many places along the West Coast of the United States, dungeness crab season peaks during the winter. However, in these frigid waters off the coast of Alaska, Dungeness crab is readily available year round.
We’re really lucky to have access to this top quality crab meat and love the fact that it supports local Alaskan fishermen who have been crabbing for generations and will pass their skills onto their children. We always purchase seafood directly from fishermen, eliminating any third parties and keeping money in the pockets of fishermen and their families.
- Approximately 1 pound of crab (just the meat after cracking the shells and removing)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Avocado oil for cooking
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, eggs, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Use a large mixing bowl to combine the Dungeness crab, chopped shallots, parsley, lemon zest, cayenne pepper and breadcrumbs. Season with sea salt as desired. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the large bowl and gently fold to combine.
- Refrigerate the mixture for one hour to allow it to firm up.
- Once the mixture is chilled, form about eight crab cakes with it.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the crab cakes to the skillet and brown for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Make sure to add more oil to the pan as necessary so they don’t stick.
- Serve the crab cakes immediately and enjoy!
The Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.