Delicious Caribbean Chicken Curry: Instant Pot Recipe
This creamy, spicy Jamaican curry will take you straight to the islands. We might not be able to travel at the moment because of current world events, but there’s nothing stopping you from turning your kitchen into a globetrotter’s paradise. This curry is flavorful, warming and spicy with tropical notes that will make you feel like you can smell the salt of the Caribbean sea on the breeze. You can make this in your Instant Pot, in a Crock Pot or just simmer it on the stove in a covered pot (if you cook it this way, check it at about 40 minutes).
Humanely Raised Chicken From Family Farms
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for the planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a co-op of family farms, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Conditions Optimized For Healthy, Happy Chickens
These birds are humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls.
They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
- 4 packages chicken thighs
- 2 ½ tablespoons curry powder, divided
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk from a can
- ½ cup chicken or bison bone broth (or water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 pound russet or red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ½ pound carrots, chopped
- ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- Sea salt to taste
- Thaw the chicken thighs in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the package and pat dry with paper towels. Allow to sit out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before cooking.
- Season the chicken thighs generously with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and 1-2 teaspoons of the curry powder. Set aside.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken thighs and sear on both sides until a nice brown crust forms.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Drain the excess oil from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons to cook the onions and garlic.
- Add the onions, minced garlic, 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons curry powder, thyme and paprika to the pan. Stir frequently and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Add the sliced scotch bonnet pepper now, with the seeds removed for less spicy or keep them in if you like it hot.
- Add the bay leaf, full fat coconut milk, the ½ cup of broth or water and the tablespoon of tomato paste to the skillet. Generously season with sea salt to taste.
- Add the curry from the pan to the Instant Pot. Then, add the chicken thighs. Put the potatoes on top.
- Use the Slow Cook feature on the Instant Pot and cook for a total of 2-3 hours. Add the carrots and green beans in when there’s about 45 minutes to 1 hour left of cooking time.
- Serve alone or with rice. Enjoy.
Our Beck & Bulow Team Is Here To Help
Everyone on the team here at Beck & Bulow is passionate about providing people with quality meat. We’re here to help in whatever way you need, so feel free to reach out with questions or for recommendations. We are happy to help you make selections and provide our favorite cooking tips!
When you purchase meat from us, each order is packed by hand at our warehouse in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Every cut is flash frozen and pressure sealed immediately after butchering, at the peak of freshness. We ship your meat straight to your doorstep in a reusable cooler with dry ice, ready to store or enjoy.