Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe With Garlic & Mushrooms
Chicken marsala is one of the most popular restaurant dishes, and it’s surprisingly easy to prepare at home. It tastes fancy and is incredibly delicious, and you’ll feel like an expert home chef when you prepare this dish for yourself and your loved ones. Chicken marsala has Italian roots, but is mostly an Americanized dish now, served in Italian restaurants across the United States.
Breaded chicken fillets with garlic, cooked in butter (and, for us, bison tallow) with a Cremini mushroom cream sauce on top, this chicken marsala is the perfect way to have something decadent for dinner this week. Serve over angel hair pasta for the full experience.
Choosing Family Farms Over Factory Farms
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for the planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a co-op of family farms, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Happy Chickens Raised Without Antibiotics
These birds are humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls.
They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
For the chicken:
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons bison tallow or avocado oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons unsalted grass fed butter, divided
For the marsala sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted grass fed butter + more as needed
- ½ pound Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- ¾ cup dry Marsala wine
- 1 ½ cup bison bone broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Let the chicken breasts thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Prior to cooking, let them sit out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes (they will cook more evenly this way). Pat gently dry with paper towels and cut in half horizontally to make 4 thin fillets.
- Combine the flour, sea salt, garlic powder and black pepper in a shallow bowl. Mix thoroughly. Dredge each chicken fillet on both sides in the flour mixture. Gently shake off the excess and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of bison tallow or avocado oil and two tablespoons of unsalted butter. When shimmering, add in the chicken fillets in batches giving them plenty of room in the pan so they brown evenly. Fry until golden brown on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes on each side). When all four fillets are cooked, transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- In the same hot pan melt another tablespoon of butter. Add in the cremini mushrooms and sauté for a couple minutes, until they’re browned. Scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon so they get incorporated into the sauce.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for approximately one minute, until it becomes fragrant.
- Pour in the Marsala wine. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken and reduce by about ½.
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet. Place the chicken fillets back into the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Serve immediately, garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
Choose Meat That’s Raised The Right Way
At Beck & Bulow, we’re passionate about providing the best meat available, delivered straight to your door. All of our meat is ethically sourced and raised the way nature intended. Each of our offerings is hand cut by local butchers with care and precision. Every order is hand packaged at our Santa Fe warehouse by our team. You will receive your meat in a reusable cooler packed with dry ice to maintain optimal freshness. Feel free to reach out, we’re always happy to answer questions and share cooking recommendations. We’re confident that you will love this meat as much as we do.