Spring is coming, but it’s not quite here yet. The weather here in northern New Mexico has started to warm up after all the snow we had recently, but it’s still that time of year where you’re not one hundred percent sure that there won’t be another cold snap. Nonetheless, we’re all thoroughly enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine. This delightful salmon pasta is undoubtedly the perfect fit for the cusp of winter into spring – creamy and warm, yet fresh and lively. Crisp, green asparagus, capers and a squeeze of lemon are the perfect balance to the rich sauce and flaky, flavorful salmon. Feel free to substitute the asparagus for whatever vegetables you have on hand – personally, I wish I had had some juicy cherry tomatoes in my kitchen to throw in.
Wild Caught Salmon From Fishermen We Know By Name
All of our fish are caught using a hook and fishing line. They never go through the machinery that salmon canneries use, which negatively affects the taste and texture of the fish. Most commercially caught fish also sit around on the boat before being bled out, which negatively affects the taste and quality of the meat. These salmon are bled right away on the boat, resulting in the most premium and flavorful salmon you can get. They’re then pressure sealed and flash frozen at the peak of freshness.
With these methods, having our flash frozen salmon delivered to you is actually highly preferable to buying fresh, unfrozen salmon unless you happen to be or live next door to a skilled fisherman. And even if that’s the case, the waters we source from off the Alaskan coast are some of the most pristine on the planet, making it very unlikely to find better fish anywhere else.
Coho salmon, also known as silver salmon, have a medium oil content but regardless are considered one of the best tasting varieties. Many who prefer a milder, lighter tasting salmon prize the coho above all others. Their significant oil content makes this variety flaky and buttery. Anyone who loves salmon but prefers a more subtle flavor will find that coho is a perfect fit. This variety of salmon is perfect for adding into pasta dishes.
- 1 pound coho salmon fillets
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 2-3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Cook your pasta of choice according to the instructions on the package. Strain the package and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the asparagus until it’s tender but still crisp and green. Set aside.
- Pat the salmon fillets dry and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add more ghee to the skillet as necessary and cook the salmon, searing on one side for about four minutes until golden brown, then flipping to the other side for about two minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for about five minutes. Chop the salmon into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the cream to the skillet over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer until the cream thickens considerably.
- Whisk the lemon zest and fresh parsley into the cream sauce. Stir in the capers, asparagus and salmon.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and combine. Season as desired with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Our Helpful Team Would Love To Hear From You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised bison, elk, wild boar, lamb, grass fed beef, poultry and seafood.