Thai Soup With Tomato & Wild Alaskan Dungeness Crab
I love the flavors of Thai food, and the lemongrass and Thai chile in this tomato soup are perfectly complemented by the sweetness of our wild caught Alaskan Dungeness crab. Serve this soup with some good crusty bread for soaking up all the goodness. This is a soup recipe that’s not only delicious but also super healthy - and quick to make! Satisfy all your Thai food cravings from the comfort of your own home. I love to create my own renditions of restaurant favorites using meat that I know is well sourced - in this case, from the icy cold waters of the Bering Strait.
We Carefully Selected The Boat Our Crabs Come From
While on essential business in Alaska, our owners got to see firsthand how these crabs are caught, how the boats are kept, what the fishermen are like, and everything else about the process. They specifically selected our source of Dungeness crabs for the way the boat is run and a shared philosophy around providing good food that is sustainable in ways that are respectful to the earth. We know the fishermen who catch our crabs by name and to us it’s an important part of knowing where our food comes from.
The Most Delicious Crab You’ve Ever Tasted
Our Dungeness crab comes in clusters with the shell on, lightly pre-cooked by the fishermen who catch them before they’re flash frozen. They’re delicious served steam with butter, cooked into crab cakes, in soups, with some delicious steak as surf & turf… the options are endless. The Dungeness has a sweeter flavor than other types of crab, making it more desirable than even the famous King crab for many seafood lovers. Crab is considered one of the most sustainable seafoods you can choose according to Seafood Watch.
They are very difficult to catch as they are highly skilled at hiding and avoiding traps. Our fishermen use traps known as “pots” baited with various tasty treats for the crabs. In many places along the West Coast of the United States, dungeness crab season peaks during the winter. However, in these frigid waters off the coast of Alaska, Dungeness crab is readily available year round.
We’re really lucky to have access to this top quality crab meat and love the fact that it supports local Alaskan fishermen who have been crabbing for generations and will pass their skills onto their children. We always purchase seafood directly from fishermen, eliminating any third parties and keeping money in the pockets of fishermen and their families.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 5 green onions sliced thin
- 1 ½ stalks lemongrass (peeled, trimmed and sliced thin)
- 1 Thai chile, seeded and finely minced
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 ¼ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup coconut milk from the can
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- Lime juice to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- ½ pound Dungeness crab meat (with shells removed)
- ¾ cup baby spinach
- Heat the avocado oil in a large, cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the green onions, lemongrass and minced Thai chile for a couple minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, canned coconut milk, orange juice and fish sauce to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a high speed blender, working in batches as necessary.
- Season with sea salt and lime juice to taste.
- Serve with crab meat and spinach. Enjoy hot or chilled.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.