Bison Tacos de Lengua
Bison Tacos de Lengua (Bison Tongue Tacos)
Tacos de lengua are an authentic Mexican taqueria classic. The secret to delicious tongue tacos is slow cooked, melt-in-your-mouth meat chopped in bite-size pieces, paired with flavorful accompaniments. There are many health benefits to consuming bison tongue - it’s packed full of nutrients, perfect for building strength and immunity.
This recipe is a sure crowd pleaser for summer.
Yield: 6-8 tacos per 1lb of tongue
- One 1.5-2lb bison tongue
- One large yellow onion, peeled
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- bison tallow
- Corn tortillas (2-3 per person)
- Toppings: Salsa verde, sliced avocados, cilantro and chopped red onion
- Simmer the tongue in a large stock pot with the garlic, yellow onion, bay leaves, peppercorns, and salt. After reaching a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for three hours. The tongue should be soft and tender.
- Remove the skin. Take the tongue out of the water and let it cool. Remove the skin-like covering from the tongue using your fingers or a small knife. If you like, you can also remove the rough patch of meat found where the tongue was attached to the bottom of the bison’s mouth.
- Slice the tongue in 1⁄4 inch slices. Heat some bison tallow in a pan on medium high and sauté the slices until they’re lightly browned on both sides.
- Remove the browned tongue from the pan and first cut the slices lengthwise into strips, then across again into small cubes.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan, then assemble tacos by adding a large spoonful of the diced tongue in the center of each tortilla topped with avocado, salsa verde, onion, and cilantro.