Kalua style pork is a Hawaiian dish that traditionally is prepared by slow roasting a whole pig in a pit dug into the ground. The roasting pit is dug about 3-5 feet into the ground and wood is placed in the bottom with a fire and rocks on top to become very hot. When it’s hot enough the bottom is lined with banana leaves and the pig wrapped in more leaves, then placed inside and covered with soil on top to cook inside this underground oven. The pig is cooked for many hours, then removed from the heat and the meat is shredded before serving. It’s a popular dish at luaus and feasts. This is a remarkable process and produces absolutely delicious pork, but might not be the most approachable method for most of us preparing this dish at home. This Instant Pot recipe is the perfect option to have meltingly tender, flavorful Kalua pork at home – and our fully wild boar makes this recipe even better.
A Delicious & Sustainable Choice
Our Southwestern wild boar roam the forests, foraging their natural diet. They love to eat berries, nuts, roots and tubers which give their meat its unique and delectable flavor profile. They’re trapped under the supervision of specialized veterinarians and butchered by a small scale, species specific facility. Just like all of our products, we care about where this meat comes from. Wild boar are actually an invasive species to North America, and their population continues to grow. They ruin crops and disrupt the growth of endangered plants in forests by digging in the soil. When we eat humanely trapped wild boar meat it helps to protect our food supply and forest ecosystems.
Once You Go Wild Boar, You’ll Never Go Back
People are always asking us about the best ways to eat wild boar. If you’re used to eating pork, the nutty and delicious flavor of wild boar meat will blow your mind. It’s so much more flavorful and satisfying than conventional pork. Customers tell us all the time that they find themselves unable to go back to eating conventional pork after trying out this meat. In addition to the unbeatable flavor, wild boar meat offers a multitude of health benefits that blow pork out of the water. It’s lower in total fat and calories while offering more omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. We are big believers in the advantages of eating wild meat and the nutritional profile of wild boar is a perfect example of this.
- 1 wild boar shoulder
- 1 ½ tablespoons natural liquid smoke flavor
- 1 ½ tablespoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Turn the Instant Pot onto the “sauté” function. Heat the tablespoon of avocado oil. Gently pat the wild boar shoulder dry with paper towels and sear on all sides in the pot.
- Turn off the sauté function and remove the wild boar shoulder. Season on all sides with the pink Himalayan salt. Add the meat back into the Instant Pot and drizzle the liquid smoke all over, turning to coat thoroughly.
- Put the lid on and cook on the slow cook function for 12-14 hours. At this point, the meat should be melt-in-your-mouth tender.
- Remove the wild boar shoulder from the Instant Pot and when it’s cool enough to handle, shred with two forks. Remove any bones or excess pieces of fat.
- Put the meat in a large mixing bowl and add ½ cup of the liquid from the Instant Pot. Mix and combine thoroughly.
- Serve and enjoy immediately. This Kalua style wild boar can also be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen for later use.
Our Friendly Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.