Turkey Day is almost here, and if you’re anything like me then you look forward to the leftovers almost as much as the main event. When you’re tapped out on Thanksgiving sandwiches (I adore them, but maybe there’s a point when it’s time to switch it up), make this for a completely different take on turkey. This recipe is written for using uncooked turkey, but if you’re doing leftover meat that’s already cooked, simply let it marinate for a couple hours as directed for flavor and then add it into the cooked bok choy mixture and cook together for a few minutes at the end. This recipe would also be great with bison, chicken or beef. Serve over rice or on its own for a quick post-holiday dinner.
The Perfect Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipe
If you can’t find Szechuan peppercorns, feel free to substitute. They do impart a unique and slightly citrusy flavor, known for the buzzing, tingling sensation created in the mouth rather than “heat”. So if you can find them, get them. But if necessary, simply substitute a mixture of freshly ground black pepper and coriander (grind the coriander seeds fresh for best flavor). Tellicherry pepper is another good substitute if it’s available. This stir fry will turn out delicious either way.
All Natural, Humanely Raised Meat
If you were lucky enough to grab one of our limited supply of Thanksgiving turkeys this year, this is a great way to use some leftover turkey meat after the big feast. Our turkeys come from the same co-op of family farms as our chickens. These birds are humanely raised and never ever given any amount of steroids, hormones or antibiotics. They are never injected with any solutions, brined or altered in any way to make the meat appear more juicy like the techniques so often used on poultry in grocery stores.
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground red Szechuan pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground green Szechuan pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 ½ lb uncooked turkey, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 10 dried red Thai chiles
- 1 tablespoon ground red Szechuan pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- Thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, sliced thin
- 1 small to medium head of bok choy, roughly chopped
- Chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Place the chopped turkey in a mixing bowl. Add in the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, ½ teaspoon of red Szechuan pepper, ½ teaspoon of green Szechuan pepper, ½ teaspoon white pepper, ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and ½ teaspoon coriander. Combine thoroughly. Add in the cornstarch and combine. Cover and refrigerate – ideally overnight, or at least an hour or two.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the dried Thai chiles, sliced garlic and ginger, tablespoon of red Szechuan pepper and chopped bok choy. Cook, stirring frequently until the garlic begins to brown. Remove the mixture from the heat, transferring to a plate.
- Add half the marinated turkey meat into the hot skillet. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the turkey begins to turn golden brown. Transfer the cooked meat to the plate with the bok choy, then add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and repeat the process with the rest of the turkey.
- Add everything back into the skillet, stir to combine and cook for a couple minutes just until heated through.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.