I love this simple way to cook an incredibly delicious king salmon fillet. It’s no frills and brings out the mouthwatering flavor of the salmon with a perfect pan sear and a simple sauce made of lemon, ghee and coconut aminos. If you don’t have ghee on hand, you can use butter but I absolutely love the way ghee tastes in this sauce. I like to use a cast iron skillet to get that perfect sear for a deliciously crispy skin. This is another way that ghee comes in handy – it has a high smoke point and is great for pan searing fish. Typically, I’d use bison tallow but for fish, ghee is the next best thing. Serve with sautéed vegetables, a baked potato or over couscous. Salmon is also an extremely healthy fish to add into your diet, full of healthy fats and protein.
Pristine Wild Caught Alaskan King Salmon
King salmon, also known by the native name Chinook, are the largest species of salmon in the Pacific. This species is highly sought after for both its size as well as its incredible quality. The meat of the king salmon is tender, soft, meaty, flaky, and contains high levels of natural oils making it deliciously rich and buttery. It’s considered by many to be the absolute best variety of salmon (myself included). If you’ve tasted it before, you understand why – there’s definitely a difference between king salmon and other types. It’s completely cravable and a real treat to enjoy.
Wild Caught Salmon From Fishermen We Know By Name
All of our fish are caught using a hook and fishing line. They never go through the machinery that salmon canneries use, which negatively affects the taste and texture of the fish. Most commercially caught fish also sit around on the boat before being bled out, which negatively affects the taste and quality of the meat. These salmon are bled right away on the boat, resulting in the most premium and flavorful salmon you can get. They’re then pressure sealed and flash frozen at the peak of freshness.
With these methods, having our flash frozen salmon delivered to you is actually highly preferable to buying fresh, unfrozen salmon unless you happen to be or live next door to a skilled fisherman. And even if that’s the case, the waters we source from off the Alaskan coast are some of the most pristine on the planet, making it very unlikely to find better fish anywhere else.
- 1 pound wild caught Alaskan king salmon fillet
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Avocado oil or ghee
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- ⅓ cup coconut aminos
- Agave nectar to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Drizzle the salmon with avocado oil or melted ghee. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat more ghee or avocado oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, place the salmon in the skillet with the skin side facing down. Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip the fish over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Rest the fish on a plate for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Melt the ghee (or butter) over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Stir in the water and lemon juice. Simmer for a minute or two, then add in the coconut aminos and agave nectar. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the salmon, slice into portions as desired and enjoy! Garnish with additional slices of lemon and parsley.
Don’t Hesitate To Reach Out To Our Awesome Team
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based. And if you’re a New Mexico local, be sure to check out our butcher shop!
Every cut of meat and seafood is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of pasture raised bison, beef, elk, lamb, wild boar, poultry, seafood and more.