Tacos in any form are easily one of my favorite foods. They’re bursting with flavor, texture, fresh ingredients and savory spices that are so pleasing to the palate. The soft tortillas, juicy meat, fresh toppings and tender cooked onions are one of the ultimate amalgamations of edible ingredients in the history of humans. I find that I usually make tacos with ground bison or one of our Primal Blends, but recently I realized that I’ve been severely overlooking the deliciousness of chicken tacos. The key here is to use chicken thighs. They’re one of the juiciest and tastiest parts of the whole chicken. Although they come with a bone inside, don’t be discouraged. Scrumptious chicken thigh tacos are still easily attainable.
How To Debone Chicken Thighs (It’s Really Easy)
If you’ve never deboned chicken thighs before, don’t worry. I hadn’t either until recently and it’s actually very easy to do. Simply feel the chicken thigh to find the bone (it’s easy to feel). Take a small sharp knife and carefully cut into the meat on both sides of the bone. When the bone is sufficiently carved out from the sides, stick the knife underneath and separate from the rest of the meat. Remove and set aside. Save the bones for broth or stock. It’s that simple! Now you have boneless chicken thighs to make flavorful, juicy chicken tacos with. You’re welcome.
Humanely Raised, All Natural Chicken
At Beck & Bulow, we get a lot of satisfaction from converting people away from eating factory farmed meat. It’s good for our planet, our emotional well-being, our health and our future. We believe eating meat is essential for humans to function at optimal health, but this can only be the case if it’s raised and processed the right way. When it comes to chicken, it’s necessary to use the highest discernment in sourcing. We’re proud to provide delicious chicken from a small-scale farm, locally raised in sunny Colorado.
Our chicken comes from a small co-op of family farms. They’re humanely raised and cage free, with plentiful space to roam freely in cozy, well-ventilated barns with access to the outdoors. They enjoy unlimited access to water and nutritious vegetarian food supplemented with enzymes, essential oils and vitamins. The chickens frequently relax in their cozy beds made of wood shavings and rice hulls. They are a Cobb Hubbard hybrid breed, carefully selected for the great flavor and consistency of the meat as well as their docile temperament. The barn attendants are trained in chicken behavior and take care to make the environment as naturally supportive as possible.
Part Of The “Never Ever” Program
These chickens are never administered any antibiotics of any kind. They are never exposed to chemicals like bleach and the packaging is completely free of any preservatives. This meat is naturally juicy and delicious, and is never injected with any type of filler or flavor enhancer. If you’re used to factory farmed chicken, you might think ours seem small in comparison. This is because they’re never given any amount of steroids or growth hormones. Their small size is just the way nature intended them to grow.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound chicken thighs, deboned (see description above)
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Warm tortillas for serving
- Avocados, salsa, chopped cilantro, sliced radishes and lime for serving
- Prepare the chicken thighs by thawing them in the refrigerator overnight in advance. Before cooking, let them sit out for twenty minutes to reach room temperature. Debone as described above in the blog.
- In a large bowl, toss together the chicken thighs, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add in the bison tallow. When the oil is shimmering, add in the seasoned chicken thigh and onion mixture. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked completely through and seared on each side. Always cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When finished cooking, transfer to another surface to let the chicken rest for at least five minutes. Then slice, assemble tacos and serve.
At Beck & Bulow, we’re passionate about providing the best meat available, delivered straight to your door. All of our meat is ethically sourced and raised the way nature intended. Each of our offerings is hand cut by local butchers with care and precision. Every order is hand packaged at our Santa Fe warehouse by our team. You will receive your meat in a reusable cooler packed with dry ice to maintain optimal freshness. Feel free to reach out, we’re always happy to answer questions and share cooking recommendations. We’re confident that you will love this meat as much as we do.