Curries are hands down one of my favorite foods. The warming spices, the creamy coconut milk, and the incredible flavors when they combine with delicious meat and vegetables makes for one of the most satisfying meals in my book. Our ground lamb brings rich flavor to blend with the garam masala, turmeric and fennel seeds that give this curry its Indian flair. It’s delicious all by itself or served over fragrant basmati or jasmine rice. Warm naan served on the side for dipping would be delightful as well.
I used sweet potato for this recipe, but you could add in whatever vegetables you prefer. Make sure to use a can of full fat coconut milk for that wonderful creaminess, the stuff in a carton won’t yield the same results. I added in some bone broth in place of water because I had it on hand. Water by itself will work just fine, but the added richness the bone broth contributed was extra satisfying.
The Best Tasting & Most Ethically Sourced Lamb
Our lamb is raised on the North Island of New Zealand, in the incredibly beautiful foothills of Mount Ruapehu. The lambs are born and live their lives freely roaming the lush green landscape. These animals are raised by the Maori people native to New Zealand, and have been bred for generations for extraordinary taste and quality. They graze on verdant green grass rich with nutrients and are never given any type of antibiotics or growth hormones.
Why We Choose Lamb Raised In New Zealand
Lambs in New Zealand graze on some of the world’s most lush and nutrient rich pastures. The country enjoys a unique, subtropical climate that encourages animals and plants alike to flourish. New Zealand has some of the best conditions in the world for raising lamb, which might explain why their population outnumbers humans. Cultural traditions in New Zealand make it the industry standard to raise meat humanely and naturally. New Zealand lamb is grass fed throughout its life, unlike American lamb which is often grain finished to encourage larger size and higher body fat percentage. New Zealand lambs are smaller in size, because they were allowed to grow and develop the way nature intended.
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow
- 1.5 pounds ground lamb
- 1 large onion, diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1 ¼ teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons ghee
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon double concentrated tomato paste
- 1 cup bison bone broth or water
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- Cooked basmati or jasmine rice for serving
- Lime wedges and chopped cilantro for serving
- Heat a tablespoon of bison tallow in a large dutch oven. When hot, add in the ground lamb. Cook over medium-high heat just until the meat is browned.
- Add the chopped onion, red pepper flakes and chopped celery to the pot. Stir and cook for approximately one minute. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the ghee to the pot. Add the minced garlic, fennel seeds, garam masala and turmeric powder to the pot, then stir to combine. Cook for another minute or two until the spices become fragrant.
- Add the can of coconut milk, double concentrated tomato paste, water or bone broth and sea salt to the pot. Stir to combine. Add in the chopped sweet potato and stir. Bring the pot to a boil. Then reduce heat, simmer and cook for about an hour and a half, covered. Stir occasionally.
- Serve the curry over rice if desired. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Our Friendly & Knowledgeable Team Is Here To Help
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.