Brisket is one of those things that when cooked to perfection, is so incredibly delicious and satisfying that you’ll be thinking about it for days afterwards. It’s also a big cut of meat and a lot of people think of it as their go-to for when they’ll be feeding a crowd. However it’s also an awesome option for meal prep and I love slow cooking a brisket with the intention of making several meals with the tender, flavorful meat. Brisket is always a great choice to add to your order from the best online meat delivery service. Since the seasons are changing and the weather is getting colder, this recipe has instructions for cooking your brisket in the oven. It’s also a nice option to know about if you don’t have a smoker – people often come into the shop asking how they can cook a brisket without one.
Breakfast burritos are a New Mexico staple and this recipe uses the shredded brisket meat inside which makes them even more delicious. Breakfast burritos are the ultimate portable, satisfying and delicious meal that enjoy a special popularity here in the Land of Enchantment. With online meat delivery, you can try these delicious burritos wherever you are in the country. Tasty red or green chile sauce adds a characteristic southwestern kick to any burrito and the shredded brisket meat makes this version especially mouthwatering. These burritos are bursting with flavor and you can even make a few extra, wrap tightly in foil and freeze for later. Any shredded meat will work great for these burritos, or even just regular ground meat. Burritos are a great way to use up leftovers and are extremely versatile when it comes to what you fill them with.
For the dry rub:
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Instructions (For the brisket)
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dry rub. Use a fork to remove any clumps and ensure that everything is thoroughly combined.
- Generously dry rub the brisket on all sides. Tightly wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight so that the meat can absorb as much flavor as possible.
- When you’re ready to cook the meat, let it sit out at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a rack into a large roasting pan. Add two large pieces of foil in an X across the rack. These will be used to loosely wrap the brisket while it cooks.
- Put the brisket in the foil with the fat side facing up. Bake the brisket for approximately an hour and fifteen minutes per pound in the preheated oven. The internal temperature should reach 185 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the internal temp has reached 185, open up the foil and continue to bake for another 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the finished brisket rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing against the grain.
For the burritos:
(Makes 8 burritos)
- 2 pounds of cooked and shredded brisket meat from the best online meat delivery service
- 16 large eggs
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1.5 tablespoons garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons bison tallow
- 8 flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup roasted hatch green chiles (or canned)
- Green or red chile sauce, or hot sauce of choice
- Peel the potato and grate into large shavings for hash browns. Rinse with cold water, then drain and pat dry. Put the shredded potatoes in a large mixing bowl and season with garlic powder, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of bison tallow (available in limited quantities from our online meat delivery service) in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Press the shredded potatoes into the pan and let them cook without stirring until a golden brown crust forms (about five minutes). Then break up the potatoes and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown all over.
- Set the cooked potatoes aside on a plate and return the skillet to the stove, reduced to medium heat. Add more bison tallow to the pan as necessary and scramble the eggs, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Place the cooked eggs aside on a plate.
- Assemble the burritos. Lightly toast/warm the tortillas, then place them on a clean work surface. Fill each tortilla with all of the prepared ingredients. Top with green chiles and sauce. Fold in the edges of the tortillas and roll up tightly into burritos.