If you love Asian-American fusion, this recipe is for you. It’s a quick and easy stir fry dinner that’s got great flavor and plenty of nutrients to boot. The red and green peppers add colorful visual appeal to this fast and simple meal. I chose to use our bison sirloin steak, but this dish would be great made with our grass fed beef, too. Bon appetit!
If You Like Beef, You’re Going To Love Bison
If you’ve never eaten bison before, you’re probably curious what it tastes like. The simple answer is that if you like the flavor of beef, you’re going to absolutely love bison. It’s very similar, but with a slightly sweeter taste. It’s naturally leaner and more tender. It has no “gamey” flavor whatsoever.
The key to preparing delicious bison is not to overcook it. It always needs to be cooked less than you would typically cook the same cut of beef. When cooked too much, bison will become tough – we always recommend cooking to medium rare for the ultimate flavor and texture. From premium steaks to fajita meat to burgers, any dish you’re used to cooking with beef will be amazing when prepared with bison.
Pasture Raised Bison That Roam Freely
Our bison live free range on 20,000 beautiful acres here in New Mexico, or roam freely on our carefully selected partner ranches. They are pasture raised and never administered any amount of hormones, steroids or antibiotics. These are powerful, strong animals that live essentially wild with minimal handling. There were once 60 million bison roaming North America, and we hope to see their numbers increase back to even 1 million during our lifetime. By increasing the demand for ethically sourced bison meat, we can help to bolster their population. The more people that want to purchase this nourishing and nutrient dense meat, the more farmers will be encouraged to raise bison. This directly helps to increase the number of herds which assists in providing genetic diversity for the population.
- 1 pound package of bison sirloin steak
- 1 tablespoon bison tallow or avocado oil for cooking
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- ½ cup bison bone broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 large red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1.5 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced and toasted sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice if desired
- Thaw the bison sirloin steak in advance. Before preparing, let the meat sit out at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes. Slice the meat into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut aminos, oyster sauce, water, bison bone broth, and cornstarch. Set this mixture aside for now.
- Heat up the tablespoon of bison tallow or oil in either a wok or a large cast iron skillet.
- Add the meat to the wok or the skillet. Let it sear for approximately 30 seconds. Then begin stirring the meat and cook for approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove the cooked sirloin steak from the skillet and set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Add the sliced red and green peppers, onion and hot sauce (if using) to the wok or skillet. Cook, stirring constantly. After two minutes, add in the minced garlic and ginger. Continue to stir fry for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the reserved sauce to the wok or skillet. Stir fry for two more minutes, then add the cooked bison meat back in. Stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately over steamed white rice. Garnish with sliced scallions and toasted sesame seeds as desired.
Also Read: Bison Butter Burgers You Need To Try
Our Team Is Here To Support You
At Beck & Bulow, we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. We’re always here to help if you have any questions regarding your meat, want help making selections, or are just looking for some cooking tips. Every time you call our office, you’ll be directly connected with one of our team members right here in Santa Fe, New Mexico where we’re based.
Every cut of meat is pressure sealed and flash frozen immediately after butchering at the peak of freshness. We work exclusively with master butchers who make every cut with care and precision. All orders are hand packed at our Santa Fe warehouse, shipped in a reusable cooler with dry ice and delivered straight to your doorstep. Check out our selections of humanely raised chicken, elk, bison, beef, lamb, wild boar and seafood.